Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just talking to someone who has one of the first x-blades he said that the whole skin had come off his moldboard because of bad bolts and soft metal.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
That

would not be good . Keep us informed :eek:
Something to ask Brian Simmons !

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
wow hope for fishers sake that was a fluke bad plow or their gonna have a bunch of p.o.ed customers... you have to let us know how it all works out...

·
Registered
121 Posts
we originally used Stainless bolts with bronze nuts and lockwashers. But with the vibration some of the nuts were backing off. We issued a bulletin and supplied the Nylok nuts which took care of the problem. So if any of you have the nuts and lock washers just replace them with Nylok nuts.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
cat

what was the problem with the soft metal ?

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was pretty much the washers like brian said But he told me that once it came off it was hard to get back on only a little metal I guess on the bottom that tucks in and the bolts on the top are what holds it on.I was looking forward to getting the stainless x if I get a new truck but may consider the steel option.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
it sounds like they solved the problem with upgraded hardware

·
Registered
121 Posts
There was not a problem with the steel. 304 Stainless is what we use. Just the nuts backing off. Nyloks fixed the problem.

·
Site Founder
5,721 Posts
Nylocks would definitely solve the problem. You can get them in stainless too, and you should. Use Neverseize on them too, as stainless threads tend to spall if torqued dry. Lowes, Home Depot, any marine supply store will have them.

Believe me, there is nothing soft about stainless!

~Chuck

·
Registered
866 Posts
Stainless is definitely not soft!! I use Stainless screws on all of my window installations and replacement windows. I've found that even the coated screws will rust and leave streaks of rust down nice new vinyl windows- which tends to stand out when they are a nice new brilliant white. I have found that stainless are worth the extra cost for the strenght that they provide also. I also use them when building trellises in the landscape side.

Bill

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Brian

When i picked up my newly installed *' SS X blade The lifting arm was yellow . The Hudson ,Ma. dealer said they or Fisher were out of silver ones . When can I expect the correct color arm so they can swap it out . By the way the X Blade works great !Thanks Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts