Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine was picked up for his plow being too wide with the wings. He has a 7.5 plow with a pair of wings on it. He just recieved a warning but was issued a seat belt ticket. The man is in his late 70's not some young punk kid. He has plowed his entire life and just wont give up. I know the law on trailers is 8.5 ft wide here in Ohio but is it ok for a state truck to have an 11ft wide plow then. The law should be the law I would think. Whats your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Simple
a law for them and a law for YOU and never the two shall meet.

don't know your laws but it would be nice to get a positive number.
Also if the law is 8.5 and his is 9.5 BUT it's angled and the cross width is only 8.5 is he legal ??

It's always something.......

·
Tileman's Boys
1,094 Posts
A friend of mine was picked up for his plow being too wide with the wings. He has a 7.5 plow with a pair of wings on it. He just recieved a warning but was issued a seat belt ticket. The man is in his late 70's not some young punk kid. He has plowed his entire life and just wont give up. I know the law on trailers is 8.5 ft wide here in Ohio but is it ok for a state truck to have an 11ft wide plow then. The law should be the law I would think. Whats your thoughts?
Just so you know ALL ODOT trucks carry any over width permit in the glove box of every plow truck that has to be reapplied for every year. This would be how they can get away with driving down the road with a 11' plow. All of this information comes from an ODOT driver thats been plowing for the state for close to 20 years

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Just so you know ALL ODOT trucks carry any over width permit in the glove box of every plow truck that has to be reapplied for every year. This would be how they can get away with driving down the road with a 11' plow. All of this information comes from an ODOT driver thats been plowing for the state for close to 20 years
Just curious. In Colorado the DOT issued the over width permits. Seemed irrelevant to issue themselves permits. In Ohio, who issues the permits?

·
Tileman's Boys
1,094 Posts
Just curious. In Colorado the DOT issued the over width permits. Seemed irrelevant to issue themselves permits. In Ohio, who issues the permits?
Not sure if tis the stat or fed DOT. It would not surprise me if the state is issuing them to them self. Ill see if I can find out tomorrow.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
In NY, DOT issues the permit and it's good for a year. Anything over 8'6" needs to be permitted, but a 9' blade is still legal if transported angled as the overall width while angled is less. Anyone can get a permit, you just fill out the application and hand them a check. (Who'd of guessed?)

Municipal trucks are not exempt, I looked into it.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Love the look on the cops face at the District Justice office for a hearing when they get to read the PA law that states there is NO over width for snow removal equipment. Only time anything applies is on INTERSTATE ( FEDERAL ) roads and there it's 12' unless a snow emergency and then anything goes.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - SPONSOR
2,184 Posts
Yes... The state DMV issues permits to the state Department of Transportation vehicles but they are charged only an administrative fee to cover processing costs. They charge me $300 a year for the same permit with my F550 because of the wing. You can have a 12 foot wide blade on your truck and so long as when it is on a public highway it is not over 102" wide (8'6") you do not need a permit. The 550 is 10'2" with the wing tucked in and the main plow angled.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Love the look on the cops face at the District Justice office for a hearing when they get to read the PA law that states there is NO over width for snow removal equipment. Only time anything applies is on INTERSTATE ( FEDERAL ) roads and there it's 12' unless a snow emergency and then anything goes.
I realize this thread is from 2011, but.... this is good info for us in PA. Considering I run a 9" Meyers Poly on my F350 Dump. I figured I was safe transporting it angled, but it's nice to see it is within the law. I had a PA State Trooper pull behind me at a red light last year @ 2AM, I guess he was just checking my lights and making sure my plate was for a class 4B registration and not off a Ranger.

·
Registered
400 Posts
We got a ticket for this years back. Back then fine was $ 250....guess what the permit was $ 250. We got it in our 2500HD with a 8'-6" V blade with wings, plow measured out at 9'-2". Persoally I think the officer was pissed because there was a V box salter in the back (overweight is a$ 1/pound ticket), salter was empty. We drive our 14' pusher down the road without issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts