Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Still looks pretty far off, not really in sight. Now that I use computers I'm always interested in new operating systems. I like vista just fine, don't know what the complaints are about. Hooked up a my business printer to my wife's vista and while trying to think of where the install disc was up came "your printer is ready to use"! Just one example. The lost install disc took 7 minutes to run in XP.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Great another version of windows:headwall all this does is keep microsoft :cash Can someone here tell me just what exactly was wrong with DOS? Or is it like everything else that's coming, go to metric its easier, you don't need the brain power, use a calculator it's easier, you don't need the brain power. All windows really does is slow down systems and gives you pictures to click.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Still looks pretty far off, not really in sight. Now that I use computers I'm always interested in new operating systems. I like vista just fine, don't know what the complaints are about. Hooked up a my business printer to my wife's vista and while trying to think of where the install disc was up came "your printer is ready to use"! Just one example. The lost install disc took 7 minutes to run in XP.
My Vista likes to crash allot, but only when im not using it so that is a bonus. I cant run my photo printer with Vista only the PC with XP.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
Great another version of windows:headwall all this does is keep microsoft :cash Can someone here tell me just what exactly was wrong with DOS? Or is it like everything else that's coming, go to metric its easier, you don't need the brain power, use a calculator it's easier, you don't need the brain power. All windows really does is slow down systems and gives you pictures to click.
I agree. New software will be tailored to the new O/S, you won't be able to get software for the older systems. Then when you upgrade to the new O/S, the old software has to be upgraded as well. It's a vicious cycle to keep them in the green.

I lost full functionality of my dot matrix printer for invoicing when I upgraded from 2000 to XP.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Well when they figure out how to make Vista accept 3/4s of Automotive based software then let me know but until then the only thing Vista is good for in my book is a home pc with no real buss use.

And like Steve and Ray said its just another way to screw the small buss with upgrades . Bill gate personally can eat the peanuts out of my doo. Personal opinion is Microsoft lost alot of shares during the rollout of Vista allowing Mac to take a larger piece of the pie even the commerials that aired showed just some of the backfires of vista.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
OK Fred, make me laugh! That's exactly how I used to feel about microsoft, just too polite to say it. What changed for me was trying out apple. Wow, talk about proprietory!!!! Absolutely nothing else will work with it except more apple. Not even a new standard hard drive or in fact any standard anything. Apple taught me to appreciate Micro$oft (M$). I learned that most people who use apple are unable to try anything else. They'd need a whole new system. I heard so much good about it, now I believe it's just another religion. I was given an apple laptop. At first I was excited, then I gave it back. An apple with a bite out of it is the perfect logo. Talk about sour apples!

I saw Bill's post languishing for a whole day. I knew he had good posts, and no one likes to have their post ignored so I tried to say at least something. Guess I hit a nerve!

The whole update B$ bothers me just as much. I tried lots of flavors of linux to beat the licensing ripoff. I like linux a lot, got 64-bit Fedora way before M$ offered real 64-bit. But I could not get a decent bidding and billing and progressive invoice program for business - please don't anyone tell me about personal finance stuff, doesn't cut it.

As far as DOS goes, no thanks. In linux it's always command line snobbery. Guess what? Command line, dos, they show enormous discipline to memorize a lot of commands, I respect the hard work, but all the programming descisions were totally arbitrary. There is no way to understand them. Try machine language, only a very small number of statements to memorize, from there it's totally logical. You can actually understand what's going on. But you still have to set up a lot of arbitray decisions. Knoppix, a very tiny Operating System (OS), has over 4,000 commands. Type in one space where there should be none, or in the next line don't type in a space where someone decided to add one and you have an error. It's the same in machine language but you need maybe a dozen statements to build any thing. And it's easy to see how it works. Sure both are powerful, but machine language is more powerful. And much, much smaller.

However you always end up building a system of subroutines and reusing them for speed and ease. That's all dos and commands are, a way to call up subroutines - mini programs. Using pictures to click on is exactly the same only a lot faster than typing. Please don't act superior because you'd rather type without a single error than click a picture.

I do estimates all the time. I do them on the back of an envelope or a cut off piece of pine with a pencil. But I need a lot of square roots so a calculator is faster. A computer is also faster that's why I use one. A car is faster than walking. In business you want to get done. For pleasure, be my guest. I like sailing, even though it's slower and you can make more mistakes. For business I like an 8.1 liter big block engine.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Windows 7 again

Back on thread:

Bill, I don't want the hassle of a new OS but at least I've heard that vista drivers will work with 7. That should help.

There will be the "new" ribbon interface, copied directly from open source Open Office.Org - a free office program better than M$ office.

There will be controls for biometric security, a slider control for UAC, and Fred, there will be a trouble shooting page - just like any machine should have.

Cellular phone modems will be treated as normal, like wireless is now. And of course, the eternal promise of faster boot time.

Snowboy, see if whoever is using your computer is using Roxio, famous for crashing every OS that exists. Just reboot and try again.

I've run vista on HP's, dell desktops and laptops, AMD and Intel processors, and out of a usb stick which they say shouldn't work. It's no worse than any other OS and better than lots of them. I'm sure I've loaded an OS hundreds of times in the last couple of years just fooling around. If I don't repartition a hard drive every week I just don't feel right. I do partitions like some people slice bread.

I do find vista to be more secure, the hated UAC actually works. How do I know? I'v been using voice control (star trek fan) for most of my functions for a couple of years. But I can't control UAC by voice, it's very random and I haven't been able to auto control it. So I don't turn it off, bots can't control it either. Instead of "on" or "off" the slider in 7 will allow you to chose a level that's comfotable for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts