Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1983 chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 that I want to change the front and rear end in. I know a guy that has a 3/4 ton truck that has be rolled. The front is a dana 60 (I think) and the rear is a corp. 14. Would this be a staight bolt in or not? Thanks for the help.:)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
3/4 ton of what year? should be close to a straight swap deal.......sure its a 60 and not a dana 44?

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Your truck should have a 10 bolt front axle.The 3/4 tons had either the D44 or the 10 bolt.D60 was in the one ton only.The only difference with a 3/4 ton 10 bolt is bigger brakes,so if the ratios are the same,then you could just swap the brakes over,and keep your front diff.

The rear should swap in no problem.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Most likely the donor truck has a 14 bolt full floater rear. It is a direct swap. All you need to do is get a u-joint that will nbe a 1310 to 1350 one. NAPA has them. Just tell them what you are doing. The front diff. is most likely a dana 44.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
His truck will have a 10 bolt front diff.

If the donor truck is a 73-76 it would be a D44.79-87 would be a 10 bolt.77-78 could be either of the two.The 10 bolts were much more common.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The donor truck is an 1984. What gear ratios did these axles have? What I'm wanting to go change the ratio that I have. I can buy the donor parts alot cheaper than I could have my axle ratios changed by my local 4x4 shop. My current ratio is 2.73, match that with 33-12.5 tires and it's a dog on a hill.

·
Registered
69 Posts
What engine and tranny if you don't mind...?? I have the same gears you have... Can't say I like em much. Might be the only good thing is you probably can't snap a axel..

Be sure the gears are the same ratio fore and aft, or you will be in deep kimshee...

I believe there is a possible 20 something ratios, so make sure you have a matched set!

When you find the info on the ones you use, and have tried it, I would be interested in what you find. Mac

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
2.73,3.08,3.23,3.42,3.73,and 4.11 were all the available K series ratios.

3/4 tons were mostly 3.23,and 3.42 ratios.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My truck has a new rebuilt 350 with a granny 4 speed. I will pull the diff covers off and see what ratio the donor truck has. I want 4.10 gears in my truck with the engine, trans. and tire combo that I want to run. The guy that has the other truck said it has 3.73 or 4.10 in it, but I'll see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts