1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) they make drivers weak
2) they reduce skill sets
3) they are for the weak

We need more social Darwinism.... do not coddle the weak.

·
Registered
677 Posts
That must be why Walter trucks use a automatic transmission.

some walter trucks utilized 2 automatic transmissions.

from "walter trucks"
"an Allison automatic became standard and a Fuller manual transmission was a option".

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That must be why Walter trucks use a automatic transmission.

some walter trucks utilized 2 automatic transmissions.

from "walter trucks"
"an Allison automatic became standard and a Fuller manual transmission was a option".
It was a sad day when Walter began to use more automatics than manual transmissions... however all of mine have either six speed Walter boxes or 12 spd Walter boxes or 9 spd fullers. The majority of them are the straight six spd by Walter.

·
Registered
677 Posts
As much as I enjoyed rowing gears.
I’ll take a well-built automatic transmission
For plowing snow everytime .

Automatic transmission is more advantageous than a manual is for plowing snow.

A skilled, operator will be more proficient with a automatic.

A fully hydrostatic transmission would be the cats meow .

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As much as I enjoyed rowing gears.
I’ll take a well-built automatic transmission
For plowing snow everytime .

Automatic transmission is more advantageous than a manual is for plowing snow.

A skilled, operator will be more proficient with a automatic.

A fully hydrostatic transmission would be the cats meow .
Automatics do nothing for proficiency when plowing a road.

·
Registered
677 Posts
1) they make drivers weak
2) they reduce skill sets
3) they are for the weak

We need more social Darwinism.... do not coddle the weak.
1. Are you saying the girls, women and children under 75 pound (weaklings) are too weak to operate a manual?

2. What skill sets are those ?
how do you pick out a Viking helmet or how much Sea~bond to put on your dentures?

3 Redundant; see number one.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1. Are you saying the girls, women and children under 75 pound (weaklings) are too weak to operate a manual?

2. What skill sets are those ?
how do you pick out a Viking helmet or how much Sea~bond to put on your dentures?

3 Redundant; see number one.

You have to realize this is a joke...

However, the reality is that driving an automatic is simpler than a manual and requires less understanding the vehicle operation.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hugh, so if someone uses a automatic transmission their understanding about internal combustion engines, transmissions, differentials, What the steering wheel does, the use of their blinkers , how a four way stop works , when there are 4 vehicles is diminished ?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hugh, so if someone uses a automatic transmission their understanding about internal combustion engines, transmissions, differentials, What the steering wheel does, the use of their blinkers , how a four way stop works , when there are 4 vehicles is diminished ?
No, how to control the vehicle by using the transmission to slow it down without using the service brakes or even an exhaust brake. Coming to a stoplight or stop street I barely touch my brakes. I just use the engine and the gearbox to slow me down. Most people get in an automatic just put into “D” and let the transmission do the work. That is fine but in poor conditions those are the drivers you see in the ditch. They hit the brakes too hard slide and skid around for their speed. Instead of using the engine and transmission to slow themselves enough so if they hit the brakes and slide a bit it manageable...

·
Registered
677 Posts
wrong, and your making generalities based on your assumptions.

The sudden change from down shifting a manual can make the vehicle spin out on slippery surfaces.

then the sudden release of the clutch is hard on the drive line, a automatic doesn't have this issue

downshifting a automatic is a smother than with a manual.

with or with out using the engine brake, I regularly down shift my automatic.
It's more fun with these 6 speed automatics and the sound from the engine-brake and the turbo spool'en is music.

this has more to do with someones driving style that one transmission being "superior" to the other.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wrong, and your making generalities based on your assumptions.

The sudden change from down shifting a manual can make the vehicle spin out on slippery surfaces.

then the sudden release of the clutch is hard on the drive line, a automatic doesn't have this issue

downshifting a automatic is a smother than with a manual.

with or with out using the engine brake, I regularly down shift my automatic.
It's more fun with these 6 speed automatics and the sound from the engine-brake and the turbo spool'en is music.

this has more to do with someones driving style that one transmission being "superior" to the other.
It’s is called double clutching releases the torque on the transmission keeps the engine and the road speed correctly matched and makes for a smooth transition between gears. You can also do the same without a clutch of know the high rpm point and low rpm point and road speed matching points for each gear.

It does require practice.

·
Registered
677 Posts
That isn’t what double clutching does norm is that why you would double clutch,

Synchronized transmission does not require double clutching nor will double clutching the It do anything.

Regardless I now know Buy your last reply
you have very little experience driving on snowy, icy roads, on black ice or on a frozen lake .

I do.

The guy is giving a lecture on how do use a clutch
Experience comes from getting an old relic going 20 miles an hour. It doesn’t even have synchronizers.
It requires him to double clutch just the gears
Didn’t clash.

I don’t even have to climb the tree to go out on a limb for this next one

Kid, I was operating heavy machinery working on my uncle’s ranch driving tractors, trucks ,Bulldozer bobcat pick up truck , Drove the 18whleel’er hauling grain out of the field all before you were born .

The last thing I need from you is some nonsense about the function of the clutch

If I have to use the throttle to adjust my engine speed so my gears won’t clash when I double clutch I still need to release the clutch at some point or I’m just slowing down using the brakes.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That isn’t what double clutching does norm is that why you would double clutch,

Synchronized transmission does not require double clutching nor will double clutching the It do anything.

Regardless I now know Buy your last reply
you have very little experience driving on snowy, icy roads, on black ice or on a frozen lake .

I do.

The guy is giving a lecture on how do use a clutch
Experience comes from getting an old relic going 20 miles an hour. It doesn’t even have synchronizers.
It requires him to double clutch just the gears
Didn’t clash.

I don’t even have to climb the tree to go out on a limb for this next one

Kid, I was operating heavy machinery working on my uncle’s ranch driving tractors, trucks ,Bulldozer bobcat pick up truck , Drove the 18whleel’er hauling grain out of the field all before you were born .

The last thing I need from you is some nonsense about the function of the clutch

If I have to use the throttle to adjust my engine speed so my gears won’t clash when I double clutch I still need to release the clutch at some point or I’m just slowing down using the brakes.
This is pure nonsense...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_clutch_(technique)

Also I drive a 18spd every day...

1 - 20 of 136 Posts