Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A little closer.

I have the spreader sitting on 2x4's and the vert rib it is bolted to is sitting right at the end of the bed, there is no weight on the tail gate at all.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
What about as the material unloads,and get pulled to the back by the drag chain ? I would think it would get a little back end heavy.

Only way to know is to try it I guess.Let us know how it works.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I agree with Wyldman as to it beinf ass heaver and the other that would worrie me is the tailgat not ment to hold that much weight especially with that cable suport that it has.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I ram my dodge with an 8ft spreader for 2 seasons it works fine, i do remove my tailgate though.I got a pic of my gmc 6 ft bed with an 8 ft spreader,it fits real good,IMO.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lawngodfather said:
I have the spreader sitting on 2x4's and the vert rib it is bolted to is sitting right at the end of the bed, there is no weight on the tail gate at all.
Please read the entire posts.......

There is no weight on the tailgate what so ever.

In fact the spreader is just barily touching what would be the top of it if it were in the up position.

·
Registered
445 Posts
LG, it looks good on the truck now all you need it to get the truck to the sign shop.:D

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love incagneato.....

Yeah soon, I am going to get reflective signs made

·
Registered
132 Posts
Id be concerned about the weight on the tailgate, it may say in the owners manual for your truck what the max. weight is for the tailgate.
:canada

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lawngodfather said:

In fact the spreader is just barily touching what would be the top of it if it were in the up position.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I think there is an echo in here

Originally posted by Lawngodfather

LOL!! It looks great, I see where the last support on the box is located right over the rear where the tailgate closes. As long as it is bolted down good I see no problems in runing it like that- I don't think that the bottom of the spreader is designed to flex enough to put pressure on the tailgate.

Are you going to letter the truck at all? Or will you run it undercover for now?

Thanks for posting the pics!!!

Bill

·
Registered
132 Posts
I didnt realize he said that....should have read it more carefully

ooooooooooooooops,,, :D :canada

·
Registered
866 Posts
LOL Pro! I don't think you were the only one- he posted that a couple of times!! That;s ok, long weekend for most people- we'll just chalk it up to fatigue!!

Bill:D

·
Site Founder
5,721 Posts
John DiMartino said:
I ram my dodge with an 8ft spreader for 2 seasons it works fine, i do remove my tailgate though.I got a pic of my gmc 6 ft bed with an 8 ft spreader,it fits real good,IMO.
And here it is....

~Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
Chuck,JohnnyD,That looks a whole lot like a 7' sander,am i wrong?Not telling anyone there business or anything,the whole unit could be 8' but the hopper's only 7'?

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Arc,its an 8 fter. In my other GMC,that had an 8 ft bed,if the rear bumper was off,the spreader fit all the way in with 2" to spare on front if that. if ithink of it il lget a measurement on it.Bradford made a 6 1/2 ft model too.It is quite a bit shorter.

·
Registered
905 Posts
LGF-How we making out with that unit in the short box so far?I'm tossing the idea around myself now that i see you boys doin it.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fine, I still would like a 7 footer just so the truck is a foot shorter, but for now with only 1 little storm it will do.

I want to get a 7'er and put 6" sides on it so it can still hold 2.5 yards of salt.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts