Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like a total ass, I backed into a protective 3' tall steel pole last night, you know the ones that protect atm machines. the back fender wasnt too badly kinked when I got it and I guess I just made it a little worse, worst part is when I went to pull away the truck slid into the other and creased the pass door. oh well it is a work vehicle not a show truck

Nate~

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey Nate,

It happens to the best.... not many have gone too many years without something like that happening.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Nate

Dont feel too bad.... had something similar happen the last storm we had....

it was early on the 2 or 3 day.. not sure... very tired... had to close my eyes... as I was seeing cars that were not there... and things moving ... when nothing was there.... so I took a little nap...

woke back up and got at it... and about 10 or 15 min back into it.. .coming around a light pole in the parking lot.... there was a 40 foot cement bottom pole that I did not see... .creased the passenger side door the ext cab and part of the bed....

still kicking my self... maybe I will post a picture of it...

So been there done that.... and it sucks!!.....

I feel for you.....

Pete

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Ive nailed one of those with my 98 GMC that i have that i use mostly for horseshoeing now... i wish they would make those damn things a little taller so there more visible in a truck... ofcourse then i wouldnt have the excuse i didnt see the thing if i hit it ;) thankfully the damage it did wasent very noticeable...

·
Registered
466 Posts
I had just picked up my new truck from the dealer at noon,later in the day i went to check on my boat and got boxed in by a couple vehicles,as i was backing out i thought i was clear of everything till i came to an abrupt stop,a 3 foot steel pole behind a 4 foot high tailgate is not good,with 4 hours owning the new truck i have a very nice dent in my rear bumper,the newness wore off real quick.:headwall :huh :huh :huh

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've prided myself over the years for not hitting things or damaging my vehicles. Christmas night (12/25) I was out doing a little preplowing with a small truck (Sonoma) in advance of the guys coming in at midnight to run our routes for Friday morning. I was getting some of the smaller tougher to get areas with the Sonoma to make my life a little easier and the sidewalk crew where I could.

Plowing in front of a customers store I backed into one of their newly installed concrete bollards which keeps carts away from the main entrance door. It's a 98 Sonoma, no big deal. However, the first storm of the year the truck wiped out on an exit ramp and caused $6300 damage, so the whole truck was repainted (sans roof). I had new bumpers and all. Well, now I have a nice dent in my bumper.

I sent an email to the customer to let them know we damaged/bent the bollard (the concrete posts have a fence type post that slides into a sleeve in the ground so they can removed) and that we'd replace it. Don't know how much that will be nor the repair to the bumper. I think it's my ego that hurst more than my wallet at this point.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Did that this past Feb in parking lot of about 5 acres in size. It only has 6 light poles in it.
I hit one going about 30mph in revs. I knew it was there, and was swerving to get away from it, lost it in the mirrors. Now that will wake you up. Every thing on the seat was on the floor. Totaled the bumper, did not get into the bed thank God. 350.00 for new step bumper for the truck.

I don't fell to bad though, my bud hit one at the other end of lot about 5 years ago, wiped out tail gate , (it was down). Now there are two poles in lot that lean a little.:eek:

Tileman

·
Registered
258 Posts
I did the same as Tileman, top speed in rev, v-box on & lost the pole in my mirror. Sure found it quick! Missed the spreader chute and didn't hurt the back of the truck (flatbet with 6" channel bumber) but I hit hard enough that the rear window shattered from the impact! That was a very chilly night. In fact I can't ever rember being colder in my entire life than when I finally got done 4 hrs later.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
took it to a local body shop and they said $250 to pound out and mud over it and the mud would be less then ½" thick max and that the price included primer, I planned on repainting it anyways myself so I will just beat it out with a bfh and mud it myself and save $240 the only real bummer is that it took out the black palstic end cap of the bumper and they are $115 at the dealer :eek:

I have a few tailgate storys too :headwall

·
Registered
333 Posts
thats nothing

i was in a parking lot filled with those things and i road right along side one and didn't feel it until it hit the rear tire and kicked the truck 3 ft over from the track i was driving in.from the front bumper to the rear i had 8000 worth of damage and i wasn't even plowing lol:headwall

i still think the worst was when i plowed the blizzard last year and i backed up over the hood of a little nissan and didn't feel it.i found out when the truck wouldn't back up anymore and a horn started beeping like crazy lol.the rear axle was on the bumper.it was one of those low rider cars with the small tires and crap.well the guy had no lic and the car had no insurance or reg.i was very lucky.i had a small dent and 2 scratches under the body when it slid over his head lights lol:headwall :headwall

·
Registered
147 Posts
A good friend of mine has luck like you guys.:D

He hit a lamppost with his 1988 chevy 1500 4x4 he had that was in the middle of a parking lot.He said he never saw it and creamed the front bumper and grill.

This same guy was out driving his 944 in the snow because his wife(who's into craft stuff) wanted a ride up to the Hewitt's garden center near here.Why he wasn't driving the 4x4 I have no clue.
Anyway, he went to pull in to there and they had the bar/gate across the entrance which is on a slight down hill and he slid under it and wedged the car beneath it all the way up to the windshield.

Needless to say he still complains about it. LOL

Dan

·
Registered
413 Posts
And when you said 944... I'm thinking the whole time they make a two seat loader? What she do ride on his lap? Why would you take a Deere 944 to the store? Ohhh.... Porsche 944. Gotcha. Ya, that is silly. JD 944, that would be okay!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Plowing a long narrow drive with "t" turn around at the end. Clearing the turn around last pass and my wife(who was riding along) asked me a question and bam, I back in to a huge maple tree. lucky for me no dammage to truck or tree. but the wife won't ride with me any more.

·
Registered
610 Posts
my father in law
backed his 2month old bronco into the side of a building
crushed the tailgate and blew out the back window
not only was he poed but also cold
john

·
Registered
85 Posts
Last year I slid into a No Parking sign and really messed up the drivers side bed.:headwall Had to have a new boxside put on.:(

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well, I didn't take any pictures of it last year... but it's worth telling. We had a light ice storm and we were out salting the lots, no plow on the truck, just the salter. The one particular lot has a slight downhill grade which ends at a bed and then retaining wall. In the wall there is an exit drive that drops about 2.5' over about 5', very steep exit drive into the driveway/parking lot next door.

As we crossed the lot slowly we just started to slide - in slow motion it seemed, heading right for the bed/retaining wall. We couldn't really steer at all. My brother-in-law and I just starred at one another and he asked "What do you want me to do...?" I replied, "I guess we'll just hold on!". We had enough time to talk about what was going to happen. My brother-in-law steered as best he could for a sign post in the bed.

Had we gone down the drive we would have gone down the exit ramp, across the neighboring drive/parking lot (30') and slid right into the building next door. Or we could have hit the narrow bed (3') at the edge of the parking lot and possible gone over the 3' retaining wall. Well, we hit the sign post along the side of the truck, raked it pretty good. Lucky for us it stopped us so that we neither went over the wall or down the drive on the sheet of ice. Lucky for us we had some salt with us! We got some traction and pulled ourselves out of there.

We have since learned to always salt the downhill side of a slope first thing in case you slide down hill like we did. A bit of damage to the truck, but nothing to severe or what it could have been. Thank goodness someone did put that pole/sign there!

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
Another trick you can use LawnLad, is to sand in reverse when conditions are that bad. This way you're backing over the material you just put down and will have better traction. I've done that on some of the streets I service on mountainsides when I had my V box.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Pelican said:
Another trick you can use LawnLad, is to sand in reverse when conditions are that bad. This way you're backing over the material you just put down and will have better traction. I've done that on some of the streets I service on mountainsides when I had my V box.
i do this in my lots.i make 3 passes in one spot and when i get ready to backup on the third i flip on the spreader real quick.
i feel safe when i do that. everytime i plow a lot for the first time during or after the storm unless its raining. theres always a thin sheet of ice that forms in a matter of seconds.
i don't like sliding around in my two trucks.my worker changes his pants atleast once every storm lol (good guy just gets scared to fast lol)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts