Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a guy were looking to get into a snowblower cheap, which brand, engine size and other features should he look for?

I might look on Ebay but wanted some advice from you pro's on the ones to get or the ones to stay away from. I need something easy into the truck too.

Looking at walkways at apartments and restaurants.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Why dont you go with a 2 cycle Toro. I see allot of guys use those 2 cycle units. They work on slush, they work on wet snow light snow just not the hard crap at then end of the driveway.

I use a Toro 13hp 33" for my house and the crap at then end of the drieway and i just put it into the weight transfer mode where it takes the weight of the engine and puts it in the front of the blower so it wont bounce up and down.
The blower flexe's a little side to side but doesnt rise up and just keeps sucking in the hard stuff.

·
Registered
610 Posts
i have 2 toro 2 stroke blowers
light weight and reliable
plus you can buy one for a couple hundred bucks

john

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Toro 3650.Lightweight,reasonably priced,and lots of power to get the job done.

The Snow Commander is $2-300.00 more,almost 50 pounds heavier,and the extra production from 4" and 1/2 a HP isn't worth it.The lighter blowers are usually faster in most conditions.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bumpkiss.

The Snow Commander has a tilting bail which propels it forward. Much less fatiguing & more productive than the 3650's.

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
We have run the Honda 621's for several years, this season we bought a 3650 Toro since my local dealer stopped selling the honda 520. We used tye toro 3650 last weekend and were very happy with its performance. We bought the 3650 over the sno commander for the very reasons that Chris said. To heavy and to much money. If you are at the level get a two stage.
The 3650 will pull its elf along quite nicely, so I dont see that as an issue.
Dino

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well lets see, I run 6-3650's & 4 Snow Commanders along w/3 eXmark TT w/blowers 1 w/blade & 3 YardMachine 28/8hp & 2 Toro 13/32 PS.

We do well over 500 res. drives w/blowers. Since the Snow Commanders came out that is all I have been buying for the singles.

The bail & width saves time & effort.

Take it or leave it.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
The 3650's rock. Just last weekend mine ate through 13 inches with no problems. It will get another workout tomorrow and Monday too :)

Just dont bother with the Electric start option unless you absolutely think your going to use it. IMO its a useless option unless the operator is elderly or has some type of condition that will hinder their use of the recoil.

Jay

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Ted said:
Well lets see, I run 6-3650's & 4 Snow Commanders along w/3 eXmark TT w/blowers 1 w/blade & 3 YardMachine 28/8hp & 2 Toro 13/32 PS.

We do well over 500 res. drives w/blowers. Since the Snow Commanders came out that is all I have been buying for the singles.

Take it or leave it.

The 3650's won't even be touched if there's a Snow Commander avail..
80 driveways to a machine.

at a 1/2hour each, that's 40 hours. BULL **** oh great one.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Lawngodfather said:
80 driveways to a machine.

at a 1/2hour each, that's 40 hours. BULL **** oh great one.

Ted the BS has really gone to far this time.it must take you 2 days to do all those properties with snow plowers.next thing your going to say is you have 1200 of these

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
We run Ariens 1336 snow blowers, nothing stops these machines. They are 13hp with a 36" cutting width. I like them cause if you are doing long walks there should be no reason to have to go back and make another pass cause the machine is so wide that it does a good job in just one pass. They are expensive but we learned long ago to spend the money up front for the right equipment then to buy something too cheap and then not be able to do the work with it. Just my two cents

·
R.I.P.
79 Posts
mikegamb:

Great pic, my hands don't seem to fit the STICK PLOWS so I'll stay with my Vee for the truck (and stay warm) and let the sidewalk crews deal with the small stuff!

plowing!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Rooster said:
mikegamb:

Great pic, my hands don't seem to fit the STICK PLOWS so I'll stay with my Vee for the truck (and stay warm) and let the sidewalk crews deal with the small stuff!

plowing!

:D :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Your math is somewhat lacking Mr. Godfather. I mentioned 19 machines.

One must remember I am speaking of small subdivision drives that with the proper equipment take 3-5 min to clear. One must also remember these drives are frequently lined up side by each, in some cases over 20 per stop.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Ted said:

Take it or leave it.

The 3650's won't even be touched if there's a Snow Commander avail.

I mentioned 19 machines.
Read what you type, err make up.

minus 6 of 19, and how many more shall we take off.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Ted said:
Your math is somewhat lacking Mr. Godfather. I mentioned 19 machines.

One must remember I am speaking of small subdivision drives that with the proper equipment take 3-5 min to clear. One must also remember these drives are frequently lined up side by each, in some cases over 20 per stop.

QUIT WHILE YOUR AHEAD :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
& why would I minus 6 of the 19?

I still use the 3650's. There is not an SC on each trailer. Quite often Large push type shovels are used in place of the 3650's in lighter snow while the SC's are running.

Comprehension seems to be one of our primary stumbling blocks to understanding the True Greatness of my Residential Snow Removal Systems.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts