Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of 8:45pm Environment Canada is still forcasting 10-15cm mixed with ice pellets and/or freezing rain for our area. The Weather Network is calling for 1-3cm and rain.

Gotta love the unpredictability of the Golden Horseshoe region of Southern Ontario. According to the head meteorologist at Environment Canada, the proximity to the Great Lakes and the Niagara Escarpment make it difficult to accurately predict precipitation types/totals for our area.

All I know is that each time a system comes along, half the local weathermen call for Armageddon while the other go with "possible light flurries" or something to that effect.

I love having to wake up each hour-on-the-hour all night never knowing what the heck to expect...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Our weather guys I believe are starting to accept the fact that in the grand scheme of things you can not accuratly predict snow. Heck if the system moves 100 mile, which is nothing to a weather system the amounts can drastically vary. Same goes with lake effect, it all depends on the exact direction of the wind. My route takes me 10 miles from north to south and I have seen snow amounts vary 8" or more in that distance. Now if they call for 8-10 inches for our area they are right even though some only had 2" cause 10 miles to the north they did in fact recieve 8"

I believe in the weather rock, if its white, it snowed, if wet it rained, so on and so forth.:D

Right now it looks white (about 2" so far) so it looks like it snowed.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I've been watching the radar all night,and it's looks like we should get the 10-15 cm.My 7:00 pm fax shows it starting shortly after 9,with 9 cm down by 2am,and an additional 4 cm by 8 am.The system may pick up a little more off the warm lakes,adding to the snowfall amounts.

I never trust the weather network.They are always off,and call for very little snow.Environment Canada is usually closer,and more accurate,especially by region,instead of just the GTA.

Instead of worrying about waking up every hour all night,i usually just stay up.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Which report do you belive?

Easy

NONE

:D
The only thing I belive any more is my eyeballs. 7-12" prediction ended up 2"

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I just wish it would start.They originally forcast it for this morning,then later in the day.The radar is showing a good amount of precip right around us,but not a flake here yet.:confused:

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
None but the National Weather Service is as close as any of them here.

We have a NWS forcasting office about 6miles from our house. So they get close to what is going on.

Tileman

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
9 times out of 10, I go with Environment Canada's forcast over the Weather Network. TWN more often than not sensationalizes the approaching storms - I swear they do this to keep viewers. Why else would people watch the weather channel anyhow? They tend to radically adjust their forcasts hour-by-hour.

I caught a couple hours sleep and just checked outdoors. Snow is slushy on the roads but sticking to the grass. Maybe a couple centimeters down now. Not snowing too hard, but it's windy.

As usual, the system is arriving way later than originally predicted. Don't know why, but that's almost always the case. Brampton may get the 10-15 but it'll have to pick up quite a bit for us to get that. However, Environment Canada still hasn't altered their original prediction for our area...

Gonna get some more ZZZ's and check again at 2:00a.m. That'll give enough time to get around the route to the early opening lots if we need to get started. Otherwise, it looks like a daytime event - oh joy :rolleyes: .

:canada

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Just got in from salting,and it looks like the storm fizzled out.We kind of snuck through a hole,and only got a few inches.Environment Canada has ended the winter storm watch,and the radar is showing just a little more snow before it's done.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Cris, I know what you mean about that hole. There seems to be a force field just south west of us where all the storms break up and go around us and then head to you :headwall

·
Registered
132 Posts
that storm sucked

At least you got a few inches chris
We got maybe 1.5 inches . I did stay up all night, last night.
The snow finally started falling around 7pm.Couldnt sleep when i saw the snow, what a disapointment.

Plowed two lots, and salted.
I know what you mean about the force field. I think its all the plants in sarnia, they disturb the atmosphere and storms go around me.

:burnout :canada :huh

·
Registered
89 Posts
And people thought I was nuts by saying there was a force field around us LOL

We are just under the DTW (Detroit Metro Airport)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Must be the same one that is around Central Ohio.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For tonight the Weather Network is calling for 2-5cm accumulation and Environment Canada calls for 10-15cm. How they can be that far apart beats me.

TWN is definately wrong since we've already got 7cm+ down now and it's still snowing. Looks like the precip is moving out over Lake Ontario at a pretty good clip, but the winds are coming in off of the lake and that's usually when we get the higher snowfall totals here at the west end of the lake.

Hopin' to get out by midnight. It's gonna be COLD! Stay warm boys.

:canada

1 - 15 of 15 Posts