Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need your opion please!, I'm comming up on 2900 mi, and I would like to change the oil (first time) and do not know which brand to go with. What do you use and why?

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I use that or the castrall

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I like the Valvoline Premium Blue.Second choice would be Rotella.

With all the stringent standards the oils must pass these days,I don't think you can go wrong with just about any oil out there,as long as it meets the correct specifications for your application.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replys, I read it has to be CI-4 rated, what does that mean? Is there a big advantage in synthetic(sp)?:burnout

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
snowmover interesting question cause i recived a free oil change from my dealer when i bought my new truck 6.0 also i went in to get it done and the adviser said they were gonna put 10w30 in for oil i said dont think so he showed me a bull from ford saying ok to use i think its the ford dealer trying to save some money i passed on the 10w30 and had rotela t 15w40 put in just dont think a diesel should run 10w30.

Also i wouldnt use syth oil with a green engine you should wait til its broke in maybe around 15k before you consider syth just my two pennys

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
CI-4 is the new API specification for motor oils.The newer oil must meet some pretty stringent standards to deal with the newer motors now using EGR,and low sulphur fuels.It a nutshell,it means it's better than the old stuff.It is also fully backwards compatable.

Like Fred said above,hold off on synthetic until it gets some miles on it.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Fred,

I have a 99 F350 powerstroke, and prefer to run 10W-30 Rotella in the colder months. My truck does not like the weight of the 15W-40 whens its cold out, I have had the cold start problem, even after check glow plugs, relays, and plugging it in. Once I changed to 10-30, no more cold start problems, I don't even have to plug it in. The hardest thing is finding someone around my neck of the woods that can get it, no body seems to have it or get it.

John

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I must admit- I'm lazy. I do my own brake jobs, most engine repairs, I've even done an engine swap (350 in S-10) :burnout
However, I DESPISE changing oil. So I go to the dealer's quick-lube. They have 15w-40 in the diesel hoses during the summer, but have switched to 10w-30 for winter. Both are Rotella products. It was 12*F here this morning, and I forgot to plug in last night, :headwall but she started great this morning!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
EZSnow,

You must be lucky, I went to five different places around me to get it, they told me either they could not get it, our had to order at least 300 gallons in order to get it. I finally found a place that could order it for me, but it took me three days of calling around to get it.

John

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
jbutch i havent ever seen 10w30 rottella around here either i remember years ago like back in 85 i worked at a shell service station and i was pretty up to date on there products and that oil was like a special order product .

i here ya on the hard starting on the 7.3 our 97 its either plug it in or replace a starter i have spent a ton of time making sure everything is right its just a hard starter, what i ended up doing was installing a sneaky pete injector unit instead of using starting fluid i use wd40 and its starts right off.

one big change of many i see with the 6.0l its starts so dam quick in cold weather you cant belive its a diesel.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, I think I'm going to go with the Rotela T 15w-40, and a ford filter. I read that ford puts in 10w-30 breakin oil in the 6.0 from the factory:confused:

·
Registered
31 Posts
For what it's worth I just participated in a 3 day on-line survey concerning a rewards program regarding Shells heavy truck products including Rotella. X number of points per purchase or service which would be redeemable on perks such as free meals at national resturant chains, $$ off for computers, etc. I hope they implement somthing like this. I buy no less than 30 gallons of motor oil per month so it adds up with or without the perks.

I buy Rotella exclusively for my equipment.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Since my father has a shop we get 30% off list from ford, so I ordered the filter and 15qts and they send it down the next day:D

·
Registered
620 Posts
All our trucks are Powerstroke Diesels. We use the Valvoline Premium Blue. Its a synthetic oil that will last for extended drain intervals. We go 5K miles. The synthetic is also more resistant to breakdown at high temperatures, such as in the turbocharger bearings.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
There are three kinds of Valvoline Premium Blue

Premium Blue - regular dino oil

Premium Blue 2000 - semi-synthetic

Premium Blue Extreme - full synthetic

Just make sure you get the oone you want,as the packaging all looks quite similar.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Thanks, I forgot about that. We used to use the Blue 2000, now use the Extreme. At our supplier it's very close in price.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme
Hi-Performance Synthetic Engine Oil

Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme is formulated with high-quality synthetic base-stocks and a boosted additive system. The hiperformance synthetic technology meets the stringent demands of modern diesel including EGR (Exhaust Gas Re-circulation)
engines operating under standard and extended service intervals in a wide variety of service conditions. The unique Valvoline
formulation is field proven and delivers exceptional TBN retention, extended drain capability, enhanced fuel economy
potential over conventional oils, advanced soot control, outstanding viscosity retention and excellent all weather performance.
The hi-performance synthetic technology is designed to meet the most demanding needs of modern low-emission diesel
engines including 2002 EGR engines from Cummins, Mack, Detroit Diesel and others.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Mobil Delvac one or Rotella Synthetic both in 5w-40

It gets darn cold here (average low is -10F got down to -33F last march.)

Of course it is plugged in and depending on what I have going on it is in the heated garage..... usually not!I usally have the garage full with some junk that I am working on)

Starts ALOT easier with the 5weight. But I can't justify the expense at over $18 a gallon. I switch to 15w-40 dino May through October

Howard

1 - 20 of 22 Posts