Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this meyer blade and when its angled the back edge is not making contact. Is this normal? JK i have a new edge on the way. But seriously when doyou change your edge?

·
Registered
196 Posts
JK? ok then...

Blades should be changed when their :
Worn drastically on either side, not making good enough contact, damaged, or just too worn down, etc etc etc.....

I change my blade when it needs changed.

:confused:

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
The critical thing is to change it before is wears into the main body of the moldboard. If you wear into that, the repairs can be very time intensive and expensive. :mad:

·
Registered
620 Posts
On a new plow we run it the first season without the edge. Next season, put on the edge. Run it till the edge is worn even with the base angle, then replace it the next season. Usually can get 3 years on a standard ( not carbide) edge.

·
Registered
400 Posts
CPSS,

NEW PLOW?????

You take the edge off and only run the moldboard?

WOW!

Mike

·
Registered
46 Posts
phoenix827 said:
LOL!:D Change it when
a, it stinks,
b, it is sagging real bad,
or c, it's dripping!

I think that covers it! (no pun intended!):eek: :D
oh my god thats funny i spit out my drink came right out of my nose now my nose burns and my eyes are watering soda on the key board arg

·
Registered
596 Posts
Just a reminder for all of you new parents out there--when the label on the diaper box says "10 to 14 lbs.", that's how much the kid weighs, not the storage capacity of the diaper...

:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Taking the cutting edge off and using the plow is for some Fisher blade with their trip edge design. This may work for some of the other companys with trip edge design as well, not sure. With most plows you really don't want the moldboard to scape the ground.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
CPSS said:
On a new plow we run it the first season without the edge. Next season, put on the edge. Run it till the edge is worn even with the base angle, then replace it the next season. Usually can get 3 years on a standard ( not carbide) edge.
Just to kinda clarify this he is refuring to fisher plows that recomend this practce not all plows are made to do that... just figured i'd say something before we get a post from someone that just bought a new meyers and was wondering why there moldboard dissapeared lol those plows have enough trouble on there own they dont need any help breaking lol:D

·
Registered
620 Posts
Thanks Seth. Thats exactly what I meant. I thought all the professional plowers used Fishers.:zoom

·
Registered
413 Posts
It's easy... change the edge as frequently as you think it needs to be changed based on your expectations of how it should clear. If it isn't clearing as you like because the cutting edge is smiling, then change it. If you can live with it for a while to get more life out of it, then keep using it until it ticks you off (or before it wears to the point you're wearing on the mulboard).

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
If it starts to get a good smile going and ya want to get rid of it find a nice streach of empty highway and drop the blage in the strait position and grind down to a nice flat edge again :D

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I just picked up a new 1/2in edge because when the plow was angled the edge didnt make contact with the ground on the side closest to the truck. I figured that was a good time to replace the edge.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts