Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for some recommendation folks:

Q: How long should I trust the front wheel bearing/hub assembly on 2004 Silverado 2500HD (2WD)?

I've heard about some guys losing them at a fairly wide range of mileages and I'm curious about mine. I have about 90K on the truck. It's mostly a grocery getter for the wifey, but I hitch the car hauler and go across the country once or twice a year with it. No problems with the bearings so far and I check them for run out periodically. I haven't found a replacement interval in any maintenance publications, so what do you think? Should I replace them just in case? And is there a bullet proof brand to look for?

Thanks in advance!

Outta here,
Ferd sends...

·
Registered
748 Posts
I wouldn't replace them before they start giving trouble - noisy, sloppy, etc.

My 96 Tahoe 4wd still has the original Timken hubs. CV shafts are original also. 212K.

·
Registered
609 Posts
My dad took his 2003 Chevy 1500 in for a oil change the other day. Mechanic tells him he is about to loose a wheel due to a bad wheel bearing. My dad couldn't believe it cause he didn't hear a thing and truck drove great but the wheel bearign was shot to hell. Oh and the truck has right around 60k miles, never worked a hard day in its life. So i don't think milage has much to do with it or how its driven.

·
Registered
748 Posts
My dad took his 2003 Chevy 1500 in for a oil change the other day. Mechanic tells him he is about to loose a wheel due to a bad wheel bearing. My dad couldn't believe it cause he didn't hear a thing and truck drove great but the wheel bearign was shot to hell. Oh and the truck has right around 60k miles, never worked a hard day in its life. So i don't think milage has much to do with it or how its driven.
Is that a 4wd truck?

·
Registered
324 Posts
hard to say how long they will last, just did a hub bearing in a grand prix today that has 170 thousand on it, the other side is still fine

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the insight Gents! I'll let them go for a while and just keep an eye on them.

Outta here, Ferd sends...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts