Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my question is when you are going to go plow someones driveway, do you plow up to there driveway as you are driving there or just raise the plow and drop it once you get there? I was just wondering if you plow all the way to there house, the state guys are slow to get the back roads. Or just wait till its done snowing thanks alot!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Driveway only. Naturally when I push the snow across the street up to the curb, part of the street is being done, but other than that, no street plowing. Mike

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
If its that deep that you can't get there, time for a different truck! :D I've been in some big storms where the plow in the raised position was plowing the roads on the way to sites. omg I pay my taxes & have no problem letting the local, county, & state institutions do their jobs with my roads, not to mention the liability issues you bring upon yourself by plowing their roads.
No snow for a while in your\our area. :(

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
While I don't have any situation like that,I would never plow the road.Too much liability involved.

If the roads are that bad that they cannot travel them,then they aren't going to need the driveway plowed,as they wouldn't be able to go anywhere anyways.

If the snow is that deep that you can't get there,then you need a bigger truck :D

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I would not plow the whole road but there has been times where the snow was very deep(on dead end roads) and i would just plow the area in front of the house to clean it up a little and have less back on his driveway after the plow comes by.If its so bad you cant get down the road the homeowners arent going anywhere anyways.Unless there was an emergency i would say they just have to wait a little.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Driveway only! The liability issues aside, why would you want to punish your truck all the way, to get to the driveway in question. If you did this often, you would be buying new equipment, or repairing equipment pre-maturely. Remember, you dont get paid to plow public roads. :rolleyes:

Chuck B.

·
Registered
905 Posts
On town roads if i happen to beat the town truck i'll usually plow about 50 feet away from the drive to minimize the snow they may put back into the driveway.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I've heard from people that it is acctually illegal to drop your plow on public roads??? I don't know about plowing the road. I wouldn't but there is a guy in my town with like an 80 chevy whos plow is broken I guess and he never lifts it kinda funny to see him just driving all over with his plow down :rolleyes: . If you aren't even supposed to plow across the road then I really don't think you should be plowing the road.
Just my .02
Eric

·
Registered
382 Posts
Two of my accounts have private drives that lead to there driveway. One of them I get paid to do the other I do for "nothing". I would not plow a town street, not my responsibility.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Crafty,Are you asking if anyone plows the ENTIRE street/road?I would never go that far much like the others have said, but i still stand firm as to my original statement above,sometimes i'm there way before the town so unless i wanna come back and clean it up,i just clean a little bit of the road before and after the driveway.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
We have a contract to plow a road that was built too narrow for county standards. The county won't touch it, so we do. 4.5 miles. We also mag a .3 mile section of road for another development in the same situation. I have plowed in and back out from a customer. (paraplegic fellow so his nurse could get in) But never a complete road unless under contract.;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have one customer who wants their driveway done by 5:30 -6:00am due to an elderly person who lives there has a home health aid that shows up early.
Most of the time the road leading into the development isn't even touched by then and can have over a 1' of snow on it.
I do the the driveway only and after the road has been plowed i'll go back and clean up where the town truck has pushed snow into the end.
They asked me about plowing the road for them so that the aid can get in and i told them it's not anything that i could due because of laws and liability reasons.

Dan

·
Registered
243 Posts
I own a property and when the snow is real deep I have to plow my way in on a short town owned road.I always plow my way into any spot I think I have the possibilty of getting stuck in.If im in the raised position and Im pushing snow I am going to plow my way in.the minor wear and tear I put on the vechicle doing the extra work I feel is better then the BEATING I may give it trying to get out.Or the lost time trying to get out Or worse then that that feeling of what an axxhole I am for being so lazy.If get stuck with a plow. Not many a tow truck is going to be able to get in to where I am to get me out.SO I feel the little extra work is like insurance gaurenteeing me a way out Normally I am doing the bulk of my work in the twilight hours So its not like some one is a phone call away to get me out.

Luckely I have not buryied a truck in years actually decades And I remeber the feeling all too well.I alway leave my self an out even if it means doing swipe down a road.

truthfully I have never given any thought to the liability of it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Its up to you Jason if you want to plow your way in. On one hand its good because you probably won't get stuck getting in or out. Around here the liability issues really aren't that great. If you were plowing Rt. 13.... well thats different. I plow my development for free. Pass in and a pass out. That way when I come home from 36 hrs of plowing I won't have to worry about "almost making it home". Plus the state never makes it out here till 3-4 days later. That 3" of snow we got on Dec 6, I plowed my development so my new guy could get some practice, as we were leaving a state truck came in. Ang called me 2 mins later saying it was buried in my neighbors ditch up to the frame. Here I had plowed it and the guy still slid off!! My chevy can handle 8-10" of unplowed area, "comfortably", but if I don't like it I either plow my way in or tell the people I can't get in the development or whatever. I usually don't make excuses but a $50 driveway is not worth getting stuck for 2 hrs in a ditch.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I wouldnt plow the street But if I accidently put snow into the street I wouldnt leave it there . Around here I have to go back to some roads to to clean up after the city comes thru . No way could I wait till the city goes thru . I would have to cut my customer base in half

1 - 18 of 18 Posts