Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
AKA "Iceman"
821 Posts
probably at least 15"-18" in any one push during some blizzrads over the last 30 years.:D

Maybe more, depending on the truck I was driving at the time.

Those were the good old days :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
last year in the blizzard,pushed about 22".it relly wasn't that hard,just hard breaking through at the entrance from the state trucks.it was probably about 3 feet there and without a v plow I had to chip away to get through.not much fun but the Suburban seemed to love it:D it loves to work hard,that big block has gobs of low end torque ,probably the most next to a Diesel.Here comes the reasons to own a Vplow discussion ::huh

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I plow with the large storms rather than try to move mountains of snow after its over . Its a lot easier on me and the equipment

·
Registered
243 Posts
The winter of 1986/87 we had a blizzard in new york state and a fellow broke his dump truck trying to go thru the giant berm left by the state I had a tiny V6 1986 Nissan pick up I had to plow out my freinds entire body shop lot of the full storm It took me forever to do the lot.

my freind who owns the body shop still talks about how that little truck cleaned his lot when the dump truck couldnt do it.Had he not broken thru that berm my truck never could have done the lot.Allthought I would like to think it was 3' of snow chances are it was only 20" to 24" because the top of my plow was still visable above the snow.I do remember the hardest part was justing that first swipe in after that it was 1/3 of bade just peeling it back.bit by bit.

Last year we had about 20" to 24" of wet heavey snow and a fellow plower got stuck in a long long private road untouched the entire storm.I dont khow what he was thinking but he decided to pull in and plow his way out.well as he was going in with his blade all the way up he was still pushing snow so he had big a pile in front of him and got stuck.

To make a long story short he could not get a wrecker I was driving buy and he flagged me down.I just pulled in a truck lenght and pushed it to the left ,backed back out pulled in another truck lenght and pushed it to the right I continued all the way up to his truck to get him out.

I always plow with the storm

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
During the Blizzard this past December we had drifts here in Boston that got up to 4' in some places. I pushed some of them to open the areas up and let the loaders finish the job. I wouldn't push this amount normally but we are fortunate enough that if a truck goes down we do have others along with sub contractors to help out. The cost of a transmission is small change in comparison to the long term relationship with our customers so we will, if necessary push the occasional amount of snow that taxes the equipment. This is rare but it has happened and is part of the cost of us doing business.

·
Registered
150 Posts
In 1996 we had a blizzard with 32'' and drifts up to a couple feet that was the most i pushed.

·
Registered
905 Posts
As far as a single snowfall goes 30" at once but i've been in drifts exceeding 4'.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I tried to push 22 inches of snow, but hearing the vibrations coming from my truck made me break out the old snowblowers, and then the guy who was working for me chopped half of his middle finger off... Now i plow every 6-8 inches, no more:burnout

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
6 FEET.... last march in Colorado....

Took d6 dozers to push it. Took me 4 hours to do a single lane 100' drive with a skid steer

·
Registered
147 Posts
About 26-30 " at one time.
It was a friend helping a friend type of deal. His truck was stuck up in the woods and he couldn't get it out to hook up his plow.His driveway is a small one lane gravel road up to where he parks his trucks.
Had to keep chipping away by pushing 20' each way at it till i got near his truck.

Dan

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
About 12" here. One time i had to plow through a 7 foot drift, after I got through it I had to shovel another foot off the hood of the truck.:eek:

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
There are times where you have to for your regular customers so I do , Of course ,I would rather take care of large storm in stages . I stay away from those res calls after the storm where they decide 2 feet of snow is to much for them and they are looking for me to move the settled and frozen snow .

·
Registered
977 Posts
Blizzard of 1978.

I was 18 years old and working snow for my Dad. He did not own a loader and there were no loaders available anywere anyway cause what the towns didn't confiscate the state did. My Dad's largest account needed to get the oil truck in for a delivery to both the house and the greenhouse and could not wait for 3-4 days for a loader to show cause they would have run out of oil. The snow was 5-6 feet deep. I ran the snowblower. He would stand ontop of the snow infront of the snowblower as I ran it and chop the snow down and I would clear it then back up and he would chop more down. We did this right down the middle of the driveway which was about 300'. Took hours. Then he got in his 1968 International Scout which normally had a Fisher manual angle plow on it (I think I posted about being angle boy on another thread somewere) but this day it was hooked up to the V-plow that he had fabricated to fit on it and lined up the middle of the v with the snowblower path and was able to break the rest of the driveway open with the v-plow. We ended up having to do this to a bunch more of his account. By the end of this storm the snowblower was dead, never ran again and it still sits in my dads basement. The old v-plow is out back in the woods rusting away. I wish we had the Gravelly 566 with the snowblower back then! The town could not plow our street with any of there trucks cause it was a big hill so Frank at the bottom of the hill who owned Rezza construction came up the street on his Cat D-6 to open the road.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Ted told me he once plowed 6 feet of snow. He had to shovel down to the truck to get in, then just plowed away!:cool:

·
Registered
392 Posts
The most I've plowed is about 16" with my 2wd dump. Jason we have to remember that 90% of our snow that we get is very wet so our total amount that we can plow is less than alot of guys on here. That pres. day storm last year, I did drives with the 4wd pickup. all the dump did was salt lots. Without 4wd it was useless. I movede a couple of drives that had 3' on it (about 200ft was the longest) but even then I had to either push off to the left or right in sections or work from the top down to the pavement. ( not the best idea but it worked) I think for what we get around here your dodge and v setup will work great. BTW, I am now the officall snow removal contractor for the Town of Ellendale. If it comes down to it your v would be great for some of the alleys that they have. Plus almost all of the streets just got repaved so it smooth as can be.

Do a snow dance!!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Last year during the president's day storm I plowed through a drift that was almost as tall as my hood, rough estimate, about 38-40" It was a very tightly packed drift, so it took a lot of chipping away at it. Other than that, the most accumulation(biggest storm) was a 12" that I plowed in a 79 Ford 2wd F-350. The snow was drifted up 6' on an 8' service door at my shop!!!
I'll post some pics, its pretty incredible, especially by Illinois standards!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts