Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for quite some time for a decent truck to put a new plow on.I am looking to spend under $10,000 for the truck, Then another 4 to 5 k for the plow. I have been told by experienced snow plowers that the ford F250 and F 350 with a solid front axle is a very strong plow truck. I have an 05 Dodge 3500 cummins but I dont want to put a plow on my new $35,000 truck and beat the hell out of it. Does any one know what years Ford used the solid front axle. Did Dodge use a solid front axle in any of the Ram 2500 or 3500s?
Any info would be appreciated

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ford has used a solid axle on the F350 1986 to present. You need to be careful if you look at anything in the 1980 to 1986 era as some of the F350's had a twin I beam setup. F250's have had a solid axle since 1999. The F250 for 1997 to 2000 or 2001 came in a light duty version with an IFS front axle (those trucks look like the 97 F150). I could be wrong as to when Ford went back to a solid axle on th F350.
Since 2000 the F350 and F250 are esentially the same truck. The major difference is the lift blocks (4" on a 350, 2" on a 250) that are used on the rear axle, and the big one the GVW rating is 1000# more on the F350 (9900# to 8800# for the 250). Hope this helps.
Ray

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Twin Traction Beam(TTB) was introduced in 1980 on the F-Series. In 1984, the F-350 was equipped with the solid Monobeam front axle, very similar to the unit used today. The F-150 and F-250 continued to carry the TTB to 1996, when they were redesigned and switched to an independent front suspension. The '96 and '97 F-250HD still carried the TTB, and the F-350 had the monobeam. There was no '98 model year for the F-250 and F-350, in mid '98 the SuperDuty series was introduced as a '99 model. With the SuperDuty, both the F-250 and F-350 carry a monobeam front axle and have since. In 2005, the front suspension was modified from leaf springs to a coil spring/trailing arm set up, but they still have the solid axle.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info what about Dodge

Thanks for the great info. I almost bought an f250 but when I looked it over again, I noticed it had indepedent front suspension. i was told that the solid front axle is the only ford that I should buy for plowing. Does any one know how 90s Dodge 3/4 and 1 ton front ends hold up with a 1000# plow hanging off the front. I am going to buy a western V or a Blizzard 810 so I need a super strong front end.
Thanks again. I really appreciate the help that I have been given by all of you.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If your going to run it yourself, save the money and hang an 810 on your D. Is it a SRW or dually.
Unless you just like the idea of having another truck, your going to be $$ ahead and off-set any depreciation that you feel the plowing will cost you on your Dodge.
Cost of another truck & plow & insurance & maintenance & licence = $$$ just to sitting and waiting for snow. LOts seem to go wrong with trucks that sit alot also.
Just my $.02
You may have limited options for finding older resonably decent p/u's in Alaska ?

·
Registered
78 Posts
my father has a 96 3/4 ton ford with a big block 460ci motor and IFS axle. it has been a plow truck for the whole of its life with 125K on the odometer. it has an 8 foot MM1 fisher plow and a dump insert in the bed. and has has a 2 yard bradford v-box in it for a few years. this truck is well suited to plow with. the only problem with the front axle is if you plow in 4 high is can be broken. we had a hired man a couple years ago that demolished the front end but he has little to no common sense.

the truck had a new axle put in it and has had two more seasons on the axle since then. it is the main truck in our fleet. our second truck is an 86 ranger that had a 6.5 fisher on it and now has a 7.5 fisher. it has heavy duty supercab springs and extra rear leaf springs and it has a IFS front axle with coil air bags as well. last fall we bought a '93 f350 7.3 turbo diesel and i am still in the process of mounting the controls and such for the 9' diamond/MM1 i have. it has a solid front axle. I bought our forth truck this spring and it is a 91 f350 7.3 NA Dump and it has a solid front axle as well and a 9' fisher. i have not plowed with either the third or fourth truck yet.

i agree that the solid front axle is better suited to heavy use. But the 3/4 truck has been the money maker for 4 years. so if your smart and don't abuse the truck you can use a 3/4 ton ford chevy or dodge as your plow truck. i would stay away from any 1/2 tons that already have plows on them.

i know this was kinda long but i think i made my point and i hope that it helps someone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts