Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here is the scenario: The ground isn't frozen, and we are supposed to get up to 12" by Sunday night, starting Saturday. After Sunday, it is going to be really cold, high in the 20's. What we are worried about is leaving ruts when we stack the snow (residential). I think we have to push it back as far as possible, so that we don't leave a barrier on the edge of the driveway. Do you think it would be better to push it back, or would the snow melt/ruts be too deep? What would you do.........:confused:

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
There is now way to avoid the rutts if you have to push back on soft ground.What I would do is when you get the edge of the driveway I woud rais the blade and use the snow as a kind of fill and pack that down and maybe it won't push into the soft ground.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
With 12 inches i would push it back as far as possible to make room for more snow. Just be careful so you don't get stuck. Maybe make a clause in your contract about the rutting in these situations or call the customers and warn them of the potential situation.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I have done exactly what Cat320 suggested- push up to the lawn/grass and then lift your blade so that you leave 3-4"'s behind. This will allow you to pack the snow in and ride on that vs the lawn. This works very well if you are getting heavy wet snow- or in your case where the ground has not frozen yet and the snow is starting to melt. I also run 10.5 or 11.5" wide tires, so I tend to float more on the snow. I have tried this with success with the skinnier tires though. Good luck, and show us some pics if you get a chance while plowing!!!

Bill

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
This is always a problem with first and last snowfalls for the season . I think the bottom line is you dont want to leave ruts in lawns on purpose (it can be tough enough not to do it by accident ) .

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think you shouldnt worry about it.Theres no way you can avoid it .

·
Registered
905 Posts
Push it back,i can't begin to tell you the troubles i had last season with this EXACT scenario,if it's a hard winter you will run out of room fast,expalin to people now whats going to happen if the first severe snow hits before the ground freezes but this is the way it usually goes anyways.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
If you are getting 12" now, you have to push it back as far as possible. Make sure the homeowners know that the ruts can occur, more importantly decide what to do about it, if you will fix them, make sure they know ahead of time!!!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
if you dont hae a clause in your contract absolving you from grass damage i would definatly put one in for next year. but i ould just warn the customer and not worry about it... the snows gotta go somewhere and 12" will make a nice pile ya wanna make sure ya got enough room to stack for the rest of the season.

·
Registered
265 Posts
ruts

I think i would do as some one else said, i would push up to lawn then raise 3-4 inches, push back on snow might avoid ruts, i run 12/1/2 wide tires, in this case would work a little better, just my thought? let it snow!!!!! Campi !!!!!!!:cash

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.