Snowplow Forums banner

What to look for: new old truck

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  mmwb 
#1 ·
I'm looking to pickup a used 3/4 ton. I will mount an XLT on it. Financial constraints will probably restrict me to something in the 2000-2008 year range. I don't plow a lot (a couple of lots and a handful of drives), but want a front end that will stand up. I'm not particular about brand. They all have strengths and deficits, depending on models and years... I am not interested in a diesel. A crew cab would be nice, but an extended cab with third or four doors is a minimum. This will also be my daily driver. I tend to stick with a truck for some time, so would like to get a few years use out of it.

What do I need to be aware of? What models should I steer from? Any models stick out as exceptionally more reliable/durable? Did Chevy correct the cracking frame problems? Fords always seem more of a PITA to work on. Particulars about the drive trains I should be aware of? All front ends will no doubt need rebuilt in time. Particular brands or models that have front ends more user friendly to work on than others?

Your insights will be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.