Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background...
I have a reasonably tight run in terms of area, and it's also pretty well lined up for times. I have two that need service by 6, one each at 7,8,9 and 10. So If I start at 4:30 (depending on the storm) I can get this route done without any trouble. I also have some resis interspersed along the route that I can hit if I have time, or leave them 'til the commercial is done if I'm running tight on time. Anyway, this'll keep me busy from 4:30am till about noon as it is, granted an early overnight snowfall.

So a friend of mine calls and his boss (he's an electrician) is moving into a new building and his old contractor is hanging it up, so he's looking for a new contractor. The problem is partly that he needs to be at least partially clean at 6 or 7 am. The other part is that his property is not exactly in the core of my route. It's about a 10-15 min run from the closest point on my route. I can cover the entire distance of my current route in about 7-10 min.

Possible solutions:
Taking the accout:
1. Hit it at 3:30 and let a couple hours of snow hit it before it's used, then clean it up after they close that day.
2. Hit it mid-route (7 or so) and touch it up later.
3. Take it and sub it out.

Not taking the account:
1. Give it to another contractor
2. Sell it to another contractor
3. Sub it to another contractor.

[WARNING- INCOHERENT RAMBLINGS FOLLOW!!!]

In the long run, this is an account I'd like to have, but since I'm only running one truck this year (aspiring to two for next year), my abilities are limited. Just can't swing another truck this year. I want him to be served well by whatever course I take, and I have filled him in on the fact that I question whether or not it will fit in my route. He indicated that he respects me for being honest with him, but would like me to help him find a contractor if I can't do it... He's also not opposed to a limited-run/ touch-up, but I just don't know how to bid that. (my problem- not a question) The hard part is that next year, I WANT this account, but if he's not happy with me THIS year, I don't have a chance.

WHAT DO I DO!!!!????!!!

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I would be honest with him,and tell him that this late in the season,any new contracts are last on the priority list for late night storms.Next year he will get better service if he resigns early.

You should be able to hopefully squeeze it in if you really want it,or look at hiring a sub to do that account.

When we get an early morning snow like that,we just do enough to get stuff open,and then return later to clean up.Most of our runs are min 6 hours.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
i would probaly take the job and put a sub on it. The added benifit to doing that would be after the sub gets done with that lot you could always put him to work getting started on your res clients while your working on the comm. accounts also with having a sub who will be doing some work off the route like that it leaves you the ability to pick up more clients over in that area, to start puting together another route.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Do you have a reliable sub in his area that you could sub it out too? If so, then I would definitely take it, sub it out, and when you are done with your run take a spin over and check it out to make sur eit was done right. I have one driveway that is way off of my route that I am doing as a favor to a friend. I advised them right up front that I would be hitting them first thing in the am, and that since they live in the snow belt ( just moved into the area) there is a chance for some more significant accumulation before I get done with the rest of my route and get back to there area. The way I priced it was a flat fee to hit it initially, then if we got more snow and it needed just a cleanup there would be a small fee (mostly to cover gas) to go up and clean it out again. If it needed a third plow due to a storm accumulation then it would be full shot again. I also advised them that if it were "blizzard" condidtions and we got 8" of snow or more then each shot would be full price just due to amount of snow. I advised them of this right up front, told them I would ask around to see if there was anyone else in their area that wuold be able to do it better, and they called me back to say they wanted me to do it since I was honest and up front with them in the begining. I thanked them for the contract, advised them I would do my best and to call if I haven't made it up there yet so that I could give them an estimated time of arrival if possible, and they were fine with that.

Short story long- I would take it as long as he understands that if you did it you would hit it first then go back for cleanup, or possibly sub it out to someone. Being that you are honest with him and he wants you to have the job, this would help you next year since he would probably be recommending more work in that area to you.

Bill

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!!- I'll let you know how it works out!
-Z

1 - 5 of 5 Posts