Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What software is best for a snow plowing business? I have been looking at Quickbooks, they have many different versions . I am thinking that a customized Excel spread sheet integrated with an Access database would better suit my needs. I do not have any employees and I don’t plan on having any in the near future, so its basically income and expenses. I also need a customer database to keep track of accounts receivable. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I run Quick Books Pro, and would eventually like to upgrade to Pro Contractor.
I think a basic Quick Books would cover your needs quite nicely, allthough with Pro you can set up for payments with credit cards (something i plan to do soon). Quick Books really is a pretty good program and It will have all your customer info set up for painless billing. All you would need then are envelopes with windows and your all set for mailing out billing.

Todd

·
Banned
1,659 Posts
I use quick books pro, have for about 5 years now, and love it. wouldn't be able to run the business side of things without it. so easy at the end of the year to just hand the accountant a CD with all the info on it.
i did just buy the contractor upgrade Cd, but haven't installed it yet. i will do so in january. my accountant has not upgraded to the 2006 pro edition yet.
if you have an edition that is newer than what your accountant has, then it's difficult for them to view your info. most accountants though keep several versions of the software on their computers.

i highly recommend this software and don't see any other out there that's as well known or easy to use as this one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. I know that Quickbooks is the most popular software for small business. I talked with my tax preparer and she told me that Quickbooks would be a bit of an over kill at this point. I think that I will go with the Quickbooks Pro anyway. It sounds like it will do everything that I need and a lot more.

·
Banned
1,659 Posts
doesn't matter if you don't use everything it offers. i don't use a lot of the things that are in that program. but it does what i want it to do. and as you grow your business, you can start utilizing all the features without having to switch software and start a whole new business file on that software.
once you start it and keep saving the business file on quick books, it's a pain to transfer all that info to another brand of software.

good luck with it.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Have your accountant help you set it up. It will be money well spent.
Todd

·
Registered
620 Posts
I use QuickBooks Pro Contractor. It has absolutely all the things I need, and I even found a local accountant thru their website that is QuickBooks certified. She answers all my questions regarding QB, and at the end of the year simply downloads the data from my computer to her office to prepare the taxes

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
powdermonkey said:
I talked with my tax preparer and she told me that Quickbooks would be a bit of an over kill at this point.
There is a difference between QuickBooks and QuickBooks Pro. Are you sure she said QB would be overkill? That doesn't sound right at all. You could be doing you online banking, home checkbooks, business, budgeting and a whole lot more.

I think that I will go with the Quickbooks Pro anyway. It sounds like it will do everything that I need and a lot more.
Pro may be overkill. It is a powerful package. Good at what it does.

You can go either way and you could upgrade from the standard version once you grow your business.

·
Registered
278 Posts
boredom made me search for this software miracle and I swear the video ad looks like it has this guy in it. I refrained from watching.
Oh, I thought it was a given that the guy who showed up out of nowhere posting on multiple Jurassic era threads with the same post was shilling his own stuff. I'm just trying to figure out if his domain (and I assume software but didn't bother to check) is pronounced like "Naked" or something different. Clearly all the good domain letter combinations were taken.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Oh, I thought it was a given that the guy who showed up out of nowhere posting on multiple Jurassic era threads with the same post was shilling his own stuff. I'm just trying to figure out if his domain (and I assume software but didn't bother to check) is pronounced like "Naked" or something different. Clearly all the good domain letter combinations were taken.
I thought it could be a bot that just posts nonsense on specific topic threads. Then he returned. So, I got curious if any of this stuff was real.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts