Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently looking for a business program for a small business. I am currently looking at Quickbooks Pro. Has anyone used it? Are there any other programs that are good and relatively inexpesive? Any comments would be helpful. I would be using it for my landscape and snowplowing business.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quickbooks pro is a good program. We use it for snowplowing and my wife's business. Most accountants can work with it so it makes it easy for taxes.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
DITTO Quick Books Pro. Just did the converasion from Quicken Home and Business to Quick Books since we will be adding more employees this spring. Works great.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Sorry to bore the thread but.... Ditto LOL
QB is a good general accounting program that is easily adaptable to many situations & types of businesses. There are programs out there that work with QB to add more industry specific needs or desires that work with & are integrated into your QB if you so desire. Do a search here for another thread with lots of comments on QB & I believe some other software companies also.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am going to disagree with every one so far. I use Groundskeeper Pro. You can use it for landscaping, and snow/ice. If you are looking for snow only, the same company makes Blizzard Buster. I used to use QB Pro, but like GK Pro better. I think it is all around better than QB because it is designed for our type of business, not any business in general. Im not knocking QB, it is a good program, but like Groundskeeper better. Just my opinion.

Matt

·
Registered
434 Posts
I just started using QB Pro as well! It seems to be a good program, if used correctly. There are lots of different tools in QB, to dissect your buisness to any level. I also still use some Excel spreadsheets that I just cant get myself to give up!:D

Does anyone pay for the QB Pro support. If so, how do you like it.

Chuck B.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I use a program named "My Invoices" it's a little easier to use and suits my needs. I picked it up at Staples about 3 years ago for under $30 - give it a try.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I used the "My Invoices" for quite a while, actually a pretty old version of it as well. When I upgraded the software, I moved to QB.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've used most of the versions of QB Pro at various clients offices. I chose QB Pro Basic edition.

If you use the extensive help menu's you shouldn't need to pay the very high rates for customer support from QB

I installed the trials for a couple of the snow industry specific programs and found them lacking some of the features I like. I can sort a plow list by order, seperate my commercial and residential clients and produce more reports than I'll ever use.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just started using Quicken XG 2004 For Business. It seems to have all the features I need, although not very user friendly until you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I dont like QB Pro, I tried the sample disc and I just didnt like it. I use Excell Spreadsheets that I built, just puch in the first 4 letters of the name and it automaticaly fills in the rest, it also computes everything.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I use Quick Books Pro mainly Too..:D

I do have some things that are on excel and some on word programs that my wife set up.(she's good at the formulas and such.)

Dan

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
I use QB Pro as well, wife rules on excell so she does all our profit loss job tracking there. I know QB does that, but its easier for her in excell.
Dino

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Software for laptop in truck

I want to setup my laptop for the truck so I can call up each account and have all information including "special notes about the property .......maybe graphics like a big red hydrant for those accounts that have one close " and a digital photo . wireless accesss to a doplar radar would be cool too. Any prepackaged software out there that will do the account info part ?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Maybe I should write some software code and publish a program made specifically for snowplowing :)

Excel, Access, VB, Qbasic, VisualC++, heck I can even have Word utilize form data.....and then charge like $20 for the software.

Yes?

:D

I tried QB Contractor edition, but at $499 retail, it's awfully steep!

I am using Access right now, and have the information sync'd to my HP iPaq PDA, so that I can enter information while on the road, and even draw maps, notes, etc on the PDA. When I get home, I just sync the PDA with the computer, and then send out the bills!
Oh, and I can use GPS with the iPaq also, it's pretty handy at times.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
David

creating that software sounds great to me . I also have a Palm PDA If I could do the same thing with a PocketPC that would be an idea too

1 - 20 of 27 Posts