Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plowing against a 'soft' (120* angle) curb, kinda feeling my way along, and the contractor refuses to mark curbs and obstacles.:fuming So I'm trucking along,:burnout 12-15mph or so- wanting to get to my accounts, but this guys got my arm behind my back to work for him. I just wanna get done. (bad attitude) Anyway- Curb is on the left, but we're plowing to the middle of the road, so the plow is angled full right. Turns out there's a storm drain in this gutter. Due to the angle of the plow, it doesn't trip when I hit this grate... just STOPS! omg omg omg Didn't blow off the relief, either. MAN- WHAT A HIT!!! I hit my head on the visor, my hat ended up on the floor by the passenger door, my ash tray full of change was nearly emptied, and everything that was on the seat or console was sent to the floor. It's 11:30pm and we're in a retirement community. I got out to see if there's any damage, and this lady comes out to see whats going on. There wasn't a light on in the house and she was in her nightgown (easy, now...). I am almost positive that I woke her up!!

Must say, though- the pro-plus took a SERIOUS hit and as far as I can tell sustained no damage. The truck (with 1000# ballast) scaled out at 9000#. My proplow would have crumpled like an aluminum can in that hit- especially with that much weight behind it.

off to the chiropractor!!! :wah

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
wow sounds like ya got lucky that ya didnt hurt yourself or yor blade... woulda sucked to trash a new blade this early in the game...

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Also you might want to losen those trip spring tensioners up a lil bit so the blade might be able to trip a little easier its nice to have em wound tight so it doesnt trip to easily but its not good when they dont trip at all...

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know- it makes me feel like a rookie again!!

I guess plowing snow with a bad attitude is like driving drunk- not the way to go, but actually, I don't know how I haven't done this before. I plowed this street last year, plowed it the same way, and this never happened.

The contractor and I had 'words' about the benefits of marking curblines and obstacles...
:argue

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
on the trips- it trips, but the angle it hit it at didn't allow it to trip. It pretty much took the hit on the end of the blade. It would have had to pop off the relief and rotated closer to stright to trip, but the aforementioned 9000# of truck wasn't moving over to give it the room to rotate. Couldn't trip, couldn't rotate... STOP

can we have a little longer to edit our messages, please?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Make sure you send the chiropractor's bill to the contractor, and tell him it would have cost him less to mark the curbs and obstacles

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Last year, I uprooted an evergreen bush, just popped right out of the ground. It was so small that the snow covered it up, oh well. re planted it, its sorta ok now...:zoinks

·
Registered
302 Posts
Took up one of those cement parking space curbs once. They were setup with rebar going down about 8" into the ground so they could be moved. The corner of the blade caught it and pulled both pieces of rebar out of the ground. Easy enough to slide back in, but had to wait until the ice melted a bit because the holes filled up right when it came out of the ground. Luckily, this has been the only thing of any substance I have hit,well, that I know of anyway.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
When I worked for the town I would hit manhole covers and water gate caps all the time did not hit the windsheild but the plow flew up in the air and the chain would fall off.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Two stories here-
The last snowfall I was plowing the fire station lot when I hit something HARD! It turned out to be the base of a light pole that had been taken out earlier this year. My blade tripped and then rode right up over it, but it wasn't until I was DRIVING over it that I realized what it was that I had hit! Luckily for me there was no damage done to my tires by the BOLTS that were left in the concrete and were still sticking up!! Gee you would think Us firemen would think twice about leaving something sticking up in a parking lot where we run around alot! LOL!
It will be taken care of soon- one way or another!

The second one is one I heard while working for the phone company. It seems that there was some ice build up under a manhole cover and when the plow came down the street- moving along at a really good clip- they hit the cover and it was launched off of the end of the blade and straight through someone's house! The cover went right under a picture window, though the living room wall, under the homeowners bed, and out his back wall! I would not have wanted to be woken up by that at three in the morning!!

LOL!

Bill
SPC Addict

·
Registered
610 Posts
ups truck

back plowing a drive at a foreign car repair shop
had my head out the window so i wouldnt side swipe
a porshe 911
looked in my rearveiw mirror sold brown
next thing i heard was fiberglass cracking

fortunately they did put in a claim for the damages

john

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
Not trying to sound like a wise guy, but that is the exact type of situation where a urethane edge would have prevented that. If for no other reason I would own a u edge to keep that from happening. Cheap insurance to keep your plow and truck in like new condition. Add 1.5" of edge overhang, and you protect the side of the plow even. SIZZLER, OR PERHAPS RED LOBSTER- MY TREAT
Dino

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
u edge

I got my u edge today . Need to find a piece of 1/4" steel 3" x8 feet to mount it . THis should stop those "hits" . Thanks Dino

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
solid hit

I once hit an old mold board that was burried in snow near my drive . THis was soon after I replaced the "peeler " with a replacement moldboard Fisher sent me . Dented my brand new shiny moldboard :headwall

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I opened up a Dodge Neon with the blade. Tore through the rocker panel , door , buckled the roof, and shattered the windows on the driver side, all in one shot.
The plow was a little twisted, the a frame bent and the piston broke in half.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just one, backed into a concrete pillar for a light pole in the middle of an empty lot.
I plowed around it for an hour -forgot it was there, long night

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Travel & Bar Consultant
2,029 Posts
A few years back the bank put up plexiglass enclosure
around their new ATM.

Well....Snowing like crazy.....Going back and forth in the
front of the lot....... windrowing happily along........

Don't I FORGET about the NEW enclosure and SMASH !

I take that mother OUT ! GONE , SQUISHED.............
Backed right over it !!!!!!!

Bank mgr sez..........NO problem geo ! We have to
remove it anyway...Somebody forgot to get a permit
to put it up! We are moving the ATM anyway next week!

PHEW!!!!!!!.................geo:burnout

·
Registered
866 Posts
Way to go Crash!! Oops I mean Sonjaab!! LOL!!

I have yet to really hit anything major, but I am sure it will happen one of those loooooonnnnnngggggg days where we're out plowing for 24 hours or more!!

Bill
SPC Addict

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have to go out and get some strobe for my truck in case Bill or Sonjaab call me for help so they don't hit my truck...lol:D

1 - 20 of 69 Posts