Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Other

Votes: 28 39.4%
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I personally have two businesses- one construction and my wife owns a landscape company. I am shifting my construction more towards custom installations and woodworking, and we are concentrating on growing the landscape side. I was just wondering how many people do snow only, or have other work that they do.

Bill

·
Registered
132 Posts
In the summer I do Landscaping. In the winter, besides plowing, I also work for the town highway dept. as a dispatcher/operator. It works out good, it's a guartanteed 40 hrs a week, because as we all know, some winters, it just doesnt want to snow.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
My dad owns a gas station/auto repair shop. Its been in the family since 1951. I work there with my older brother and my father. Me and my brother fix the cars, as well as help my father pump the fuel if were not busy in the garage. Thats my full time job. Snowplowing is just on the side, even though I love plowing as much as any one of you guys. :D Mike :)

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Tech Ed teacher / Carpenter

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a small farm and raise 30 head of Black Angus- Hereford beef cattle. We also bale 850 4X4 round bales of hay a year.

I work for the Village of Albion, NY water dept. part time driving the Tanker.

Next week I start driving tractor-trailer at night, hauling US priority mail for the Christmas rush for 4 weeks.

No time for much more, Ha, Ha!

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
You could say i'm jack of all trades but mostly we do Floor covering and kitchen and bath remodeling ,I also do backhoe work too.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
My main business is an Auto repair shop.We also do trucks and equipment.I also have a small computer shop as well.

Snow keeps up busy in the winter,when the other stuff is slow.Perfect fit too,as I can repair and fabricate my own stuff,which keeps expenses to a minumum.

·
Registered
434 Posts
This is my third year doing snow only. Thank god its getting easier to manage! I used to be a construction manager, I hated sitting behind a desk. :D

Chuck B.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I personally only do snow. But I have been known to do some construction work with my uncle.

This year, I'm trying to land an internship in Mechanical Engineering. Caterpillar looks good, and there are a few more I'd like to try for.:grinz

·
Registered
85 Posts
Apple warhouse maitaince and Industrial refrigaration in the winter months........truck driving in summer starting during cherrie season....hauling fresh produce to the warhouse........

·
Registered
289 Posts
Project Manager for an electrical contractor - I also run a small excavation company along with plowing on the side.

Andy

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I have my own Horseshoeing business that i run in addition to the snowplowing...

·
Registered
908 Posts
I use to be in the landscape maintance industry and have kept some drives left over from that time. Have spent the last 6 years as a light duty equipment tech specializing in snow removal equipment (certified Western and Fischer tech). I do my drives before work and then go and either put together a new truck or repair the ones you clowns broke.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I am still in the corporate Info tech world, currently as an IT auditor. 45 min commute into Denver keeps my hi-tech city job and my low tech mountain lifestyle. We have been plowing for 28 years to allow my wife to be an at-home mom, and to give our kids an entreprenuerial view of life.
And, I just love trucks...:D :p

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am a General Contractor full time specializing in Kitchens, baths, & basements. Also do a sh!tload of custom doors & windows.
Along with dabling in realestate, rentals & flips.

Things pretty much slow down around here for a day or two when it snows. If i'm in the city it could be 3 or 4 days before things are back to normal.

I started plowing again 4 seasons ago to pick up the slack and have been having a ball. I do mostly estates out on the main line offering full service, drives, walks, & de-ice. I also have a handful of 3 push drives. Will be switching over to comercial starting with a few smalll hits this year. Next year hope to be geared more towards commercial.

I have been bitten by the plow bug and there is no cure in sight. :help

Mark

1 - 20 of 59 Posts