Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know here in Anchorage, we pay $55/hr for dump trucks to haul snow to the snow dumps. Hard to believe the truckers can make any money operating that cheap. Drivers start out at $15-17/hr haulin snow. That doesn't leave a lot for overhead and profit.

What are the rates in other parts of the country??

My boss rents them for $55/hr and charges $65/hr, says he makes his money on the front end loader (me or him)..

Paul

·
Registered
133 Posts
That is the exact rates we are paying around here. Between
$55.00 and $65.00 per hour for a Tri-axle dump truck . They are cut throat if you find one that really wants work sometimes you can get them for even less. We bill them out at $80.00 per hour.

www.schmidtlawncare.com

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
The companies are paying $ 42.00 / hour for wheelers, $ 55.00 for tri-axles. Obviously, companies are billing them out for more.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's just crazy. The guy I plow for won't even crank up his dump to haul.. He'll contract it out.. To the company I run a loader and fill trucks for.. hehe.. Oh well, gotta make a livin I reckon..

It just seems like that's not a lot to charge for a dumptruck.. They ones they're using here are 20 tons.

Amazing..

Paul

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
55-65 per hour is very low for these parts (I guess the big dig has spoiled the truckers) and most wouldn't even talk to you any more if you offered that. Small equipment rates around here are a diffrent story, since small backhoes and skid steers are as common as pickup trucks if you line them up before the season starts.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Around these ways the triaxles are getting about 65-75 an hour.I usually dont haul snow , But I do rent some trucks during the year.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I need to add a wheeler to my fleet, but the sub work to keep it busy won't pay enough.

$42/ hour
- $12 / hour or so for the driver
- fuel
- insurance
-maint.
-workers comp.
-other expenses,

Dosen't seem worth it, unless I am driving the truck. And even then, I'm not making any $.

Once I know I can keep it busy hauling for own company, then I'll revisit the idea. Untill then, 7-8 yards at a time works for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You get what you pay for!!!! Pay fair rates!! You guys that pay $50.00 & bill $80 somebody should only be screwing you like that!! They say what goes around comes around!!!! There is no subsitute for QUALITY!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
How is paying a dump truck $55-$65 per hour and charging $80 screwing someone. That is the going rate for trucks around here and I am not going to offer more money to them just cause I feel bad, or I am making more on them. I got the contracts, I set the prices and it is my job to go out and find the trucks when I need them. I dont see how that by paying them what we do, is getting less quality work. Most of the time the trucks are putting very few miles on them cause we are just hauling to different areas of the property, the trucks are not getting over loaded cause it is just snow and most of the time if it wasnt for us needing trucks they would be at home cause the construction has stopped because of the weather. Just my two cents

·
Registered
243 Posts
kamerad47 said:
You get what you pay for!!!! Pay fair rates!! You guys that pay $50.00 & bill $80 somebody should only be screwing you like that!! They say what goes around comes around!!!! There is no subsitute for QUALITY!!!
I think your off base with this comment.the fellow are paying what the operator wants,not what they want to pay.
aparently they are happy getting work for there truck

As for what they bill them out for, no one is getting screwed it called commerce and the fellow is adding his cut to the job.

I see now problems here at all and find your comment RUDE and unfair and unjust

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
every one marks there service or product up that's business but to put it another way.

Would you hire a truck and pay $50 and hour not mark it up but have to call get the truck there stay there to oversee the removal and not get anything ??? I don't think so.

Now would getting a truck for the same $50 and marking it up to say $ 250 now that would be overcharging.

It would be the same think if you hired out your sanding would you just charge what the sub told you and make no:cash if all you had was sandable events I don't think so.

·
Registered
103 Posts
We don't hire ourselves often we just do our own work usually, but when we do we charge customers $85.00 per hr for a single axle, and $125.00 per hr for a tri-axle and $175.00 -$225.00 per hr for a loader during snow storms. during the regular season we usually get $450.00 per day for a single axle and $550.00 per day for triaxle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My whole point was that you have to pay people decent $$$ for them to show up time & time again !!! If your looking to get the cheapest guys thats what your going to get, & are they dependable & show up! Working in the snow for $55 an hr is cheap! the guy who does it must have a rock for a brain!!!! the same goes for the guy billing $80 an hr!!! it should be $90 truck bill $125!!! snow happens maybe a dozen times a year it's not normal pay!

·
Registered
243 Posts
kamerad47 said:
My whole point was that you have to pay people decent $$$ for them to show up time & time again !!! If your looking to get the cheapest guys thats what your going to get, & are they dependable & show up! Working in the snow for $55 an hr is cheap! the guy who does it must have a rock for a brain!!!! the same goes for the guy billing $80 an hr!!! it should be $90 truck bill $125!!! snow happens maybe a dozen times a year it's not normal pay!
somebody should only be screwing you like that!!

Thats the part of your post that sounded alittle harsher then what your stating above.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts