Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Im gonna try and explain this the best I could. On the UniMount, when you hook it up to the truck bracket, there is 4 places to pin up. The bottom 2, the big pins, and the 2 top ones for the headgear/lights. Now on mine, the way they did it, they attached the black floppy thingy, the part that swings up to hold up the headgear, they attached that to the plow. Isnt that piece supposed to be attached to the truck, hanging off the truck mounted bracket? It can be either way, and it hooks up fine either way, but I think it would be easier to hook and unhook if it was attached to the truck and not the plow. I have seen it both ways. Most trucks I see have that black floppy thing attached to the truck, but a few I see are set up like mine. Now, on the trucks I see with it attached to the truck, that black floppy thing has a handle welded into it, which is a good idea, and it also is spring loaded so you have to pull it back and swing it up to line it up with the headgear. The spring wants to push it towards the headgear to help you attach it and put the hairpin cotter in. What I want to know is, can I buy the parts to set mine up this way? I think all I would need is a new black floppy thing with a handle on it, and the spring. Right now mine has no handle, its just a flat piece of metal painted black with a hole on each end. Id really like to set mine up this way, the correct way, it would make it easier on me when attaching and detaching. When I met Chuck Smith, I remember him seeing the black floppy thing attached to my plow and him saying that it was weird to see it that way. Even he said its supposed to be on the truck, not the plow. So, I know what I need, but its gonna be hard to explain to try and order. Maybe John, GarageKeeper49, will know what Im talking about and can sell me the parts to do this switch. Let me hear what you guys have to say on this. :) Mike :)

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Mike

I know exactly what you mean.My older Westerns have no handle,the newer ones do.

I think the link arms are supposed to stay on the truck,but i hate the look of them,so i leave mine on the plow.The springs don't really help much,so they wouldn't be a neccesity,but the handles are nice.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
63940 - LINK ARM SERVICE KIT

ITEM PART QTY. DESCRIPTION

6------63497 1 LINK ARM
18----91147 1 3/4 FLAT WASHER
19---- 91911 1 5/32 x 1-1/2 COTTER PIN ZYC
20----63354 1 CLEVIS PIN 3/4 X 6.00 HT ZYC
21---- 63356 1 SPRING 3/4 ID X 3.00 LG

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chris, I know what you mean. I think it would just be a drop easier for me to put the plow on and take it off with it being attached to the truck. I think the correct way is for it to be with the truck. LGF, thanks alot for posting that info. Where did you get that info?? I have a Western UniMount parts guide, but I see nothing about parts that have to do with the truck side, just parts having to do with the snowplow and headgear itself. :confused: That part number for the link arm, is that the one with the handle on it?? Mike :)

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
The number on top is for the whole kit per each side. Comes with all parts listed.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LGF, I understand, but what Im asking is, how do I know I wont end up with the same plain link arm I have now. I wanna be sure I end up with the one with the welded on handle. Was the plain link arm and the one with the handle different part numbers? Thanks for the help. Mike :)

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not to be a pain in the butt, but I cant get my computer to open that. Can you somehow post the pictures they show here in this thread? I appreciate all the help. Mike :)

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Nope, don't know how to do a pdf file.

You need acrobat reader.

Take my word for it, it's a different part number to the one with the handle.

This is the only one that comes in a kit like this with the spring and other parts...................

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK guys, thanks alot for the help and thank you Chris for that blow up view of the parts. That definitely looks like what I need, but looking at the picture, Im trying to figure out why that link arm is shaped like a letter "h". I thought it was the same as mine, flat, with a handle welded on. Im now wondering how it attaches to my plow frame. I guess if I ordered the kit, I would understand it once I got the stuff in my hand, or match it up next to someone elses truck. On my truck now, there is 2 straight metal things sticking outwards with holes in them on each side, on the top half of the plow mount. Mike :)

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I kept looking at the diagram, and I think I get it now. Yea, I definitely want that kit! How much is that kit roughly, you guys have any idea at all? John is a Western snowplow dealer, Ill order it from him, I was just curious what that whole kit sells for. Thanks so much for the help guys. :) :) Mike :) :)

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
The newer style link arms are "h" shaped.The extra piece is what the spring pushes against.The link still sits in the same place,in between the ears on the mount,and the extra piece wraps around the inner ears,then the spring,washer and cotter pin.

I don't have a camera,but maybe someone could post a pic,or just take a look at a newer plow.

If you decide to use the link only,the extra piece will just sit there and do nothing.The link will still work just fine.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again. :) You know, now that I think about it some more, I have seen trucks with the link arm attached to the truck, but no spring and no handle. That must be the older kind like mine, but it was attached to the truck at the time of the plow install. Without the spring tension on the link arm to hold it still, it must rattle around just dangling there by itself between the two ears, no? Mike :cool:

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hate rattles! :headwall Hopefully with the spring kind, it will hold it pretty still and wont allow it to jingle around. Thanks so much, once again, for all the help and taking the time to reply to me, I really appreciate it! :nodd Goodnight pal, talk to you tomorrow. Mike :waving

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
while it may rattle some, I have never heard it.
Dino

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
mike- my chebby had a uni-mount with the sprung link arms. I NEVER heard them rattle. The springs do not push the arms IN to the headgear, they separate them OUT away from the 'gear. This does two things, keeps them clear while you raise the headgear into position (less back-and-forth than if you forget to push the un-sprung ones out) and they just about remove themselves when it's time to unhook. When I unhooked, I pulled all my hairpins and set up the jack. Then all you have to do is wiggle the headgear and the springs pop the link arms off, jack is loaded and out come the main pins!

I don't know how well I came across, but if I had the old style, I'd upgrade!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh, I was under the impression that the arms were spring loaded towards the headgear, not away from it. :confused: I figured when you raised up the headgear, you would pull back on the handle, line it up and let go and it would automatically wanna stay in place, but if its spring loaded the other way, isnt it gonna wanna pop out of place while your trying to get the hairpin cotter in? I just gotta order this kit and put it on. I really thought though, that is was spring loaded towards the headgear, to kind of help you hold it up while you reach for a hairpin cotter to stick in the hole. Mike

1 - 20 of 50 Posts