Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to forums, this is my first post on anything, so here it goes.

I have an old Western Unimount with solenoids on the power pack that I bought a few weeks ago, I got it mounted and everything worked fine. I drained the hydro fluid, it was blue and still looked good. Removed the hoses and purged the fluid from the cylinders. I removed the pump to clean the reservoir, it was very dirty, cleaned everything up, put a new O-ring on the bottom of the pump and put a new filter on it and reassembled everything. Added new blue fluid, operated the plow to purge the air, everything went good, added more blue fluid till full, then ran the plow a little more and the motor started to slow down and eventually stopped in a matter of seconds. I thought I had a bad motor, It smelled like something electrical got hot, it's the factory Wapsa motor, so I found the exact motor on ebay and mounted it, it would not turn the pump either. So I tested both motors with jumper cables and they worked fine when not connected to the pump. I put a cordless 18V drill on the pump shaft and it was very hard to turn, the drill would shut down after a few seconds due to how hard it was, I can turn it by hand, but it's not so hard that I can't turn it. I ordered a new pump and it will be here Monday.

So after that long winded description, what do you guys think is wrong? Will a new pump cure this problem? Any help help/suggestions would be great.

Many thanks in advance,

Mark

·
Registered
226 Posts
Remove the pump and take it apart, there is not much in there. If the electric motor is running and quitting. Run your hands slowly along the main battery cables, is anything getting warm? I have seen the battery cable pins not make a good connection, clean then spread them a little with a screw driver.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did remove the pump and split it, everything looked good to my eyes, no broken gears. I have unhooked the motor from the truck and used jumper cables. The cable ends just spark when I connect them to the motors. When I separate the motors from the pump, they work just fine. I think something is blocking the fluid from returning to the reservoir which makes the pump impossible for the motors to turn.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. I've tried loosening up the pump mounting bolts and the only way it will work is if it's totally loose, loose enough that the o-ring can't seal. Could it be a relief or check valve or some type of valve?

·
Registered
682 Posts
I didn’t read this whole thing but if you’re running your pump for the motor without one the functions selected you’re just dead heading into your high pressure relief valve that seems to be cranked it all the way

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This all started while I was running the plow side to side, up and down to make sure I had the air out of it. It was running fine, then all of a sudden the motor started to slow down and within 5-10 seconds it completely stopped the motor.

I have read where people's relay solenoid sticks and the motor continously runs without doing any functions until they figure out what happened. How is that able to happen? Is something plugged up on mine or can I adjust something. I just got this plow and previously had a Meyers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
According to my mechanic guide, all of the cartridge solenoids are working properly and are grounded. When the solenoids are activated, they click and it sounds like something is moving.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't break the crossover relief valve stem loose, I love how well aluminum and steel play together over very long periods of time. I'll try to find a big standard flat bit for my impact driver, and if that don't work get my other buddy out, Miller 250.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yes. I've tried loosening up the pump mounting bolts and the only way it will work is if it's totally loose, loose enough that the o-ring can't seal. Could it be a relief or check valve or some type of valve?
If I understand you, if you loosen up the pump bolts, you can turn the pump shaft. If you tighten the pump bolts, you can not turn the shaft?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The pump turns fine with the 2 bolts that hold it together and turns fine when the mounting bolts are loose enough that the o-ring can't seal, when I tighten the mounting bolts enough for the o-ring to seal, then the pump is hard to turn.

I have now pulled the valve block off and took out all of the valves. Everything seemed alright, except one of the cross over relief valves o-ring was chewed up. I'm going to get all new o-rings and maybe a couple cross over relief valves due to having to weld a nut on them to get them out. Clean it all up and put it back together. That's all I know to do.

I have to get this up and running, who knows when the weather will go to crap in Iowa. I just plow my driveway, my Dad's, and a couple neighbors. The last 5 years or more I used a Meyers plow, but I sold it with the truck, I never really had a problem with it, this Western setup is really making me regret the change.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe its the original pump, and I have a oem pump on the way. The o-ring fits in the recess on the pump perfect, and there is no way it could block the flow of fluid.

·
Registered
226 Posts
What happens is if the o ring is two big, or just a little to thick, the pump housing actually flexes a little and binds up the gears.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm sorry, there is no way that could happen, atleast with what I'm seeing, it doesn't protrude out enough and the aluminum is probably around 1/2 - 3/4" thick, the little o-ring has to conform without causing any stress to the aluminum. I wish it was that simple.

The pump and motor did work long enough to let me raise and turn the blade at least a half dozen times before it stopped.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts