Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing a Unimount 61440 on 2500 Suburban and the thrust plates get mounted to the engine crossmember. The bolts or nuts are too far into the crossmember tube to reach. The truck is a junker and the plow was cheap so I may weld these plates on there. I would rather bolt it so I'm looking for advice. Instructions have put the nuts inside but that would be a bigger challenge to hold a nut, lock, and washer so I've read somewhere that someone tacked a washer to the bolt then welded a rod on the head to allow feeding into the crossmember tube. The access hole doesn't look like I could fit a wrench in there either so welding a rod on the bolt head would allow for tightening the nut without spinning. Third option would be to get a different mount frame but it's really not worth it...
. What have others done?

·
Registered
448 Posts
It doesn't look like the diagram shows it, but the kit comes with nuts welded to a piece of flat bar that acts as a handle to hold it in position as you tighten it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I made my own. 1 x 1/2 flat bar drilled and tapped and bolt with 3/16" x 7-1/2" rod and washer welded to it. Worked like a charm. the extra holes were my mistake. I was off 3/16" and had to re do it...
20210111_160807.jpg
20210111_160907.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts