Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with the new style western poly snow deflectors? These look very cool. I know boss has them out now too. They are pre molded with a curl to the top, kinda like the big boys on the interstate. Anyway I have heard conflicting reports that they dont hold up. My local guy here says he sold a few last year and everybody trashed em. He said most guys did it stacking snow. I guess this would make sense. I could also possibly see ice chunks possibly tearing em up too. Anyway I do like the look over the old rubber ones and they are comparable in price so ? Any input would be great.
T

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I personally prefer the rubber.It will last a long time.

I could see the plastic breaking when stacking.I remember back when i had a few Fisher sno-foils,and the guys would bash them up in no time,and they were steel.

·
Registered
609 Posts
a rubebr deflector usualy lasts longer then a poly one, the extreme tempatures associated with plowing can cause the plastic to become brittle and break with the slightest impact, rubber bends and flexes and does not break:D

·
Registered
832 Posts
Poly Deflectors

The poly deflects work just fine if your your looking to keep the snow off your windshield and to get the snow curling in front of the plow.
But if your a "pile packer" or like to push snow with the blade tripped over do as Chris says go with the rubber deflector. Just be sure to add the Western "curl" brackets to the ends of the top of your moldboard.
:rolleyes: John..............

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Just be sure to add the Western "curl" brackets to the ends of the top of your moldboard.
Are those the little bent-eyelet type things?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Ive had a poly deflector on my fisher for 2 years now without any problem.Ice chuncks didnt do a thing to it. It is pretty flexible but of course not as much as a rubber one.I even pushed against a cement pole plowing back a pile and it went right back to its shape.On a full trip plow the rubber would probably be a better choice. I dont think the poly would hold up very long.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I'd go with the rubber deflector last alot longer and wont get destroyed when the blade is at full trip.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Where can I find a piece of rubber to make my own deflector?

And don't say "your local gravel yard", in a city of more than 2.4 million people, there are no gravel pits around here.

Can anyone in the Toronto area give me any specifics?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Curly Brackets

Yes those are the little "curly" support brackets that help to keep the top edge from breaking.
NovaLC: Give Big Nate an e-mail for the rubber flaps you need.
:rolleyes: John...........

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Looks just mine:D nothing like convayor belt

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
nova you could probaly check an industrial supply store they might have it or i believe big nate (from on here) sells em too.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
NovaLC said:
Where can I find a piece of rubber to make my own deflector?

And don't say "your local gravel yard", in a city of more than 2.4 million people, there are no gravel pits around here.

Can anyone in the Toronto area give me any specifics?
Unilock in Georgetown has lots,on Armstrong Ave.

BWS may be a little closer to you,on Weston Road,between Langstaff and Rutherford.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I put a poly one on last year and haven't had any problem yet with it. Honestly I'm suprised too. It's not a Western, I think the dealer said it was for a Snowway. As far as tripping goes I don't think my plow has tripped since I put the Uedge on (just thought it now). I certainly did some stacking last winter too.

-Tim

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Another thing that the rubber can do, was illustrated unintentionally by this picture Chris posted about tires. Notice how the rubber bends upward, givng the plow 6" more height, which helps stack the snow!!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey thanx guys for all the input! I guess I will run the rubber one. I know the straight plastic one from western does not hold up. They curl straight up and look like crap pretty quick. I had the rubber one on my old blade from western and never had any problems, kept the windshield pretty clean too.
T

·
Registered
29 Posts
well i found one more use for the plastic deflectors. the other windy night on the free way the wind was picking up the plow and had the rubber deflector in verted and facing straight up. this would cover up my headlights and caused me to go 35mph on the freeway. with the plastic i think i would have been ok. unless it was really cold then the plastic probaly would have snapped. but theres a point fo plastic. personally i like my rubber and see no reasojn to switch.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Anyone have any good ideas on how to keep the rubber deflectors from flying up and blocking your headlamps??
Anything above 35 mph and my lights are blocked. I was thinking about a couple small chains bolted thru the deflector and the face of the plow.

Any ideas??
Mark K

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Mark, the deflectors that Nate sells have rubber 'ribs' on them, I assume they are to help reinforce them, as well as keep them from flapping up, but that's just my guess.

Mine isn't the western one, its a little heavier and longer. I only have problems with it flapping up when I' the highway or try to go over 50 (which is rare with teh plow on).

One other thought: What if you attached it via an angle iron, so that the rubber falls straght down vertically. I wonder of that would keep it from bending up with the air currents. :confused:

I am going to attache a picture of my delfector, so you can see ho long it is, and for the sake of attaching a picture!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts