Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at bidding on a Western spreader on Ebay.
Can somebody post some good pics of their Pro Flo spreader??
I want to see inside the hopper and what the speed controler look like.
I have never seen anyone salt or sand their lots here. I want to add this service to my customers and possibly pick up a few more for next season.
I plan to spread bagged ice melter purchased locally.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark K

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
What I went to, you can keep the bags.

about a minute and a half I am back on the road again and don't have to get out.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'm also looking at a ProFlow1. My question to all those that have run or do run one is this:

~How do they perform? I was looking at one today, it looks as though the salt all runs out when you fill it, do you have time to fill it, then get back to the cab and start moving before it empties itself out onto the ground?
~Are they easy to put on/take off by one person? I hear all the time how "easy" they are, but no one has really told me they are a breeze, can one person lift it and slide it into place, or are additional hands/muscles needed?
~I saw that they don't have an auger, but some kind of chain down the shaft, does this work like an auger would, and does it bridge or clog easily with bagged, or wet bagged?

Lastly, what's is the going price for a new one from a dealer, uninstalled? Just for reference, thanks!!

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I had four of them,and they worked just fine for their intended purpose.As long as the salt was clean and dry (bagged),they were great.

I tried to run bulk a few times,but it usually bridged,and gave me a hard time.A vibrator may help,but it's no guarantee.

They are heavy,tough for one man to handle.An engine hoist or crane makes it easy to get it on and off.I had a custom bumper mount,so it dropped right on.

They have two little feed gates,one on each side,to control the rate of flow.The salt does not come spilling out much,unless you leave them wide open between sites.I usually spread with the just slightly open,so no salt would splill out at all.

They do use a chain in place of an auger.I added a second chain to help break up the salt some more.It was still tough with bulk though.Not a feed problem at the bottom,but a bridging problem higher up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have one that has been great. It is 1.5 years old and I will be selling it in March. It will still be under warranty. You only need to open the slots a little. Alot depends on the bagged salt. I find the larger salt to work a little better.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I actually run dry bagged salt and sometimes a dry sand/salt mix in mine with no problems.Just dont open the feed gates all the way.Im getting rid of mine just for the fact that loading #50 bags of salt gets old after a while in the freezing cold:wink

1 - 12 of 12 Posts