Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm having some issues here. I bought an older western plow that was in great shape and pretty cheap. When I went to order the mounts and wiring I was quickly educated that i had to do a conversion. Long story short the conversion is done and the truck is wired. The issue I am running into is that I'm not getting power to the controller. I have the red wire fuse tapped to cruise control and the solenoid wired properly. While I was troubleshooting I thought the solenoid was faulty. Turns out not to be the case. When i jump the solenoid i can get the plow motor to kick and when i jump from + battery to the primary stud on solenoid the plow works. Take the jumpers away and all i have are working lights on plow side. I am starting to think that the controller might be bad. Before I order a new controller (as we all know they're not cheap) I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight or have any other ideas. Unfortunately I do not have a secondary controller to test.

All grounds are good and tested.
Wires have been ran numerous times checking for breaks or improper connections
Plow works
Lights on both truck and plow side work

System is working on a 3 port 3 plug isolation unit
6pin controller

·
771 Posts
Try taping into a different fuse for the controller like the fuse for the fan.
Or
O turn the cruise control on and see if your controller has power and if the fuse didn’t blow.

·
Registered
398 Posts
If you remove the controller, you can jump the power and group pins directly to a battery. If it's good, it should light up. See the diagram below - note that this diagram is for the vehicle end, so it's going to be mirror imaged from what you see.

You could also have a bad ground going to the controller - the ground of the controller is piggy-backed off the ground going to the solenoid. If that is bad/broken/corroded, the controller won't be able to ground.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Solved!! First things first. Thank you guys for responding and trying to help out, It's much appreciated. I traced the problem back to the fuse tap i was using. The fuse itself had power going in but the lead coming out of it wasn't supplying power. Put a new one in and bam, good to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts