Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site and it looks as though there is a more mature group here than at the "other" forum site. Not to knock the other too much. I did learn some things and got helpful feedback.

I have an new '04 Ram with the Cummins HO. Most of the information I have seen on plow installs comes from '03 instructions and diagrams. Were there any factory changes to the Dodge wiring that would make a difference when installing a plow?

Also, I really want the 8' Pro Plus but don't know if there will be a problem with the factory warranty if I add that much weight. I would settle for the 7.5 Pro but I believe it is STILL over the DC recommended allowances. So why not go all the way and get what I want. Any ideas on that?

Finally, I have not gotten ANY help with this question. Is it possible to retain the factory tow hooks when installing a Western Ultramount system? They look to good to take off if I can keep them.

Thanks,
E

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
I got an '04 w/cummins and a Blizzard 810 on it with no prep package or modifications.

You can fessiblly put a pro 9' on with no problems, I have a '98 360 gas with an 8½' pro and it barrily drops the front lifting it.

Why wont the tow hooks stay on?

I put my Blizzard mount on no prblem.

·
Registered
908 Posts
The tow hooks do not stay on with the ultra mount. You could possibly leave them on but the support brackets on the back side of the bumper would have to be removed make the tow hooks just an astetics thing.

There were no changes to the 04's wiring so the diagram would still be the same.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I'd go with the 8' blade if i were you that truck should carry it without any problems...

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
So that truck can't handle 52# more?

That's all the 9' blades is more than the 7½'

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
To quote Westerns, quickmatch

2003, DODGE, RAM 2500 SLT.

The vehicle has a 4x4 drive train, Quad Cab body style, 8.0 Box foot box, 8.0L V10 engine type, 5200 minimum FGAWR, 9000 minimum GVWR, and HB5 head lamp type.

Bumper notching on SPORT required

The mount type selected is ULTRAMOUNT. The blade selected is 9'-0" UltraMount Pro. The control type selected is CabCommand (PN: 56462).

The required ballast is 650 lbs.

Plow Components

Blade Assembly: 60655

Mount Assembly: 63883-1

AQL Assembly: 66880

Hydraulic Kit: 64588

Light kit: 64100

Headlamp Harness: 8436

Control: CabCommand (PN: 56462)

Date: 12/11/2003

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
The tow hooks do have to come off with most plow mount installs.

Get the biggest blade possible,like a 9 footer,or a Blizzard.The Dodge will handle it fine,and the Cummins will have no problems pushing it.

You may want to look at better front springs,and a set of Timbrens for improved handling with the plow on.Other than that,it will make a great plow truck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all who have contributed. I think I'll stay with the 8'. It makes more sense seeing that I do mostly residential. I know for a fact that the 9' would NEVER fit at an apartment driveway I do. It is family owned so I have to do it by shovel or plow... "ain't" no way I'm shoveling that puppy.

Sounds like the tow hooks have to go:mad: but life will go on!

How does this sound to you?

Western Pro with Ultramount
Pro Wings
Backdrag Edge
Cab Command
Iso Module
Delivery Charges

$3600.00 I do the install.

Too much or is it worth it to pay $4200.00 to buy locally and have dealer install?

Your feedback will guide my final decision on the purchase of the plow come Monday morning.

Thanks again,
E

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I have a 2003 2500HD with the Hemi. Western 8' pro ultra mount on the front, good news is the tow hooks stay and are fully functional. :D
Todd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts