Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody keeping an eye on this weekends weather, there's supposed to be the potential for a mother of a storm, Gary Grey is predicting up to 18" for some parts of PA, and the first December tropical storm ever has just been spawned in the Caribbean, could be a wild weekend:feedback

Bill

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have the trucks loaded with salt, plows on, drivers on stand-by. I just got back from a day in NYC. iTS SNOWING IN DC!! Going to bed to get a couple hours sleep. Then hopefully the green will be falling.

Hope to get some pics.

Ray

·
Registered
666 Posts
DOCKBOY

PS DOCKBOY PM me with your cell. If it gets bad I might need your help.

Ray

·
Registered
81 Posts
How accurate is Gary? I'll take the 8-12" he is predicting, that's the first I've heard those #'s around here. :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
I see on the dopler, you guys just south of me( southern ontario) are getting a storm. I was hopeing it would hit us too.. NO luck,,
have fun
chow:canada

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Since our power went out last night, I didn't get to monitor the weather before I went to bed. Got up this morning - Weatherbug was chirping. Major storm warning. Looks like we're going to get a good snowfall out of this one

·
Site Founder
5,721 Posts
Left work at 4, in Morris County. There was less than an inch on the ground. Got into Essex County 2 hours later, and there was about 4" on the ground. Took me 2 hours and 15 minutes to go 35 miles.

No plowing for me tonight.... If I can make it in to work tomorrow, I will get at least 16 hours in.

Stay safe everyone. It is going to be a long event. It's just getting started. We are now under a Blizzard Watch. According to Paul Kocin, this could be the most significant early December storm in weather history.

Being the first storm, I saw the usual new plows all over the place, and they all had the shoes on. I guess by the next storm, half of them will realize they should remove them, or at least adjust them.

While leaving work it was clear the management company didn't seem to care that over 1,000 employees would be taking the main road out. It was not black and wet, which shocked me. It was just starting to cover over. Guess they didn't pre treat...... I hear them on the radio, out salting various portions of the site. Seems the main road was left out, or needed to be treated again.

~Chuck

·
Site Founder
5,721 Posts
According to the NWS....

WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT THROUGH SATURDAY
Urgent - Winter Weather Message National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ 453 PM EST Fri Dec 5 2003

.The First Significant Winter Storm Of The Season Spread Snow Across The Area From South To North Today. The Storm Spared Coastal And Southeastern New Jersey, Southern And Central Delaware And The Central Maryland Eastern Shore From Any Significant Snowfall, With Much Of The Precipitation Falling As Rain. However, Winds And Tidal Flooding Across Vulnerable Portions Of These Areas Still Appear To Be Very Possible.

Near And Along The Interstate 95 Corridor, Significant Snow Fell Before Mixing With Sleet And Rain In Some Areas This Afternoon.

The Snow Moved Into Northwestern New Jersey, And The Lehigh Valley And Pocono Sections Of Pennsylvania This Afternoon. It Will Continue Intermittently Tonight, Becoming Heavy At Times Late Tonight Into Saturday Afternoon.

A Complex Storm System Is Responsible For The Wintry Weather. A Surface Low Pressure System Near The Carolina Coast Early This Morning Moved Northeast To A Position Off The Delmarva Coast This Afternoon. The Low Will Reorganize And Intensify Late Tonight As An Upper Level Low Pressure System Transfers Its Energy Down To The Surface. A Second Round Of Significant Snowfall Is Expected Later Tonight Into Saturday Afternoon As The Storm Develops Into A Major Nor'easter.

0400- Berks PA-Bucks PA-Camden NJ-Carbon PA-Cecil MD-Chester PA-Delaware PA-Gloucester NJ-Hunterdon NJ-Kent MD-Lehigh PA-Mercer NJ-Middlesex NJ-Monroe PA-Montgomery PA-Morris NJ-New Castle DE-Northampton PA- Northwestern Burlington NJ-Ocean NJ-Philadelphia PA-Salem NJ- Somerset NJ-Sussex NJ-Warren NJ-Western Monmouth NJ-

...Winter Storm Warning In Effect Through Saturday...

Occasional Snow Will Continue Over Portions Of The Lehigh Valley And Pocono Sections Of Pennsylvania And Northwest Portions Of New Jersey Tonight, Becoming Heavy At Times During The Early Morning Hours. Farther South In The Warning Area Intermittent Light Snow Will Continue Tonight, Becoming Heavy At Times Toward Daybreak. The Snow, Heavy At Times, Will Continue Through Saturday Morning, Tapering Off To Flurries Late In The Day Or At Night. Additional Snow Accumulations Will Be 10 To 15 Inches In The Pennsylvania Poconos And Extreme Northwest New Jersey, 8 To 14 Inches In The Lehigh Valley In Pennsylvania And Portions Of Northwest New Jersey, 8 To 12 Inches In Southeastern Pennsylvania North And West Of Philadelphia And Central New Jersey, 4 To 8 Inches In Northeast Maryland, Northern Delaware, Southwestern New Jersey, And Inland Ocean And Monmouth Counties In New Jersey. These Amounts Are In Addition To The Snow Already On The Ground.

Winds Will Increase Later Tonight As The Storm Intensifies. Late Tonight Winds Will Be North Northeast 20 To 25 Mph With Gusts To Around 30 Mph, Shifting To North Saturday Morning And To North Northwest Saturday Afternoon. These Gusty Winds Will Cause Considerable Blowing And Drifting Of The Snow.

Remember That A Winter Storm Warning Is Issued When Severe Winter Weather Is Considered Imminent. Future Driving And Walking Conditions Will Become Dangerous. People Should Remain Indoors Unless Travel Is Absolutely Necessary. Stay Tuned To Local Media Or Noaa Weather Radio For Updates On This Weather Event.
-------------------------------

~Chuck

·
Registered
400 Posts
I just returned from our first event, it was a nice 13 hour day.

The snow was very wet and heavy but it felt good just getting out there behind the wheel. Well i think i'll crack open a beer and eat something we are supposed to get another 6-8" tonight:cash

The storm really caught me off guard as they were calling for maybe 1" or less, I had to hook up the plow this AM. I did have the spreader on at least

Well less then 10 miles south they only had rain, we got 4-6", and 15 miles northwest had 8" by 9am and its still falling!!!

Well good luck all. I am :grinz

anybody north of the mason-dixon line GET READY

Mike

·
Site Founder
5,721 Posts
WINTER STORM WARNING THROUGH EARLY SATURDAY
Urgent - Winter Weather Message National Weather Service Upton NY 450 PM EST Fri Dec 5 2003

0500- Bergen NJ-Bronx NY-Eastern Passaic NJ-Essex NJ-Hudson NJ- Kings (brooklyn) NY-Nassau NY-New York (manhattan) NY-Queens NY- Richmond (staten Is.) NY-Southern Fairfield CT-Southern New Haven CT- Southern Westchester NY-Union NJ-

...Winter Storm Warning Through Early Saturday... ...Blizzard Warning Early Saturday Through Saturday Evening...

Snow Will Continue Overnight And Additional Accumulations Of A Few Inches Are Expected. Snow Will Persist Through Saturday And Northeast Winds Will Pick Up In Speed. The Combination Of Strong Gusty Northeasterly Winds Of 25 To 30 Mph...With Gusts Close To 40 Mph...And The Snow Could Result In Blizzard Conditions Through The Day. Visibilities Will Be One Quarter Mile Or Less In Snow And Blowing Snow At Times During This Time Frame.

The Snow Will Taper Off Saturday Night...So Blizzard Conditions Are Not Expected To Continue As The Night Progresses. Snow Will Gradually Taper Off Late Saturday Night And Snow Accumulations Of 10 To 15 Inches Are Expected. A Blizzard Warning Is Issued When Sustained Wind Speeds Or Frequent Gusts Of Over 35 Mph Are Expected With Considerable Falling And Or Blowing And Drifting Snow. Visibilities Will Become Poor...With Whiteout Conditions At Times. Those Venturing Outdoors May Become Lost Or Disoriented...So Persons In The Warning Area Are Advised To Stay Indoors.

Any Travel Is Strongly Discouraged.
----------------------------------------------

~Chuck

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Finally getting a meal break! The weather guessers were wrong again, but this time it was by a significantly lower amount forecasted than what fell. They had thought we would get a changeover to rain for much of the day to keep snow totals down. Never rained. About 8" on the ground here now, still snowing moderate to heavy. 2"-4" predicted for the overnight, and then around dawn the "real" storm will start up. Yikes. We were forecasted to have 3"-5" by this point. So if they underestimated the first event , and are possibly underestimating the saecond one also, its gonna be a long week here. Thought we were going to get a nice nap or sleep break between storms, but now it appears that is not to be. I'll be happy with the hot meal & the change of clothes at least.

As Chuck mentioned, traffic has been the worst nightmare ever, though it is now clearing up. It took me 45 minutes to go 1 mile from one account to another at around 5:00PM! Ouch! I was able to get out & trouble shoot\repair an unworking light on the spreader between moves down the road LOL

I have tracked Gary Gray for 4 seasons now & he verifies for my area about 85% of the time, vs NWS about 70% vs local TV etc 65%, vs a local radio station guy that does about 75%. Today he & all the others were way low so far.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Re: DOCKBOY

JustUsDe said:
PS DOCKBOY PM me with your cell. If it gets bad I might need your help.

Ray
Ray, Did you get my PM??

Just got in from cleaning up some accounts. Been out since 6:30 AM, but had a 2 hr. nap break cause I didn't get to sleep until 3 AM getting ready;). We got about 4-5" of very wet stuff. Watching the Weather Channel right now and they are predicting 6-10" more by tomorrow night:cash

Time for bed:zzzz :zzzz

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
We're not getting anything yet. I've been monitoring Weatherbug and the weather on the news. Looked like the bulk of it was going to be to the South - Portland area. I've been expecting 5-7" - until I saw Chucks link. GOOD GOD. 24" or more? Went back and checked Weatherbug. Now it's showing snow for three days and nights. Maybe there'll be some money for Christmas, after all.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Looks like we are getting nailed here 18-24 " Everyone be safe

1 - 20 of 39 Posts