Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any other Canadian guys out there who find the Weather Network completely inaccurate?

They might as well be giving me a forecast for the Bahamas they are so far off in my area.

I think I can look at the sky and predict the weather more accuratlely than their experts.

I find Environment Canada is better, although it isn't exactly dead on either.

Anyone know of any other avenues to check weather for the Greater Toronto Area, more precisely Newmarket and surrounding areas?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Enviroment Canada's weather office has always been my first choice for weather, but they need to update more often. It's always been the most accurate source that I've found, it's also the source for the weather band on my CB.

http://www.weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/canada_e.html
(btw: just click on Ontario, not Toronto to select a city)

I don't know what they're doing at The Weather Network, but it's not very good weather forcasting, it seems like I can predict things better than they can just by watching the radar.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I know what you mean about inaccurate. I find that lately the weather network seems to be focusing more on the weather in other parts of the country then they do here in Ontario where they're based out of. I pretty much gave up on this channel, good luck finding local weather on it, never mind accurate weather.:nope

·
Registered
569 Posts
I posted a previous thread about the discrepancies between TWN forecasts and those of Environment Canada. The storm that dumped 20-25cm of snow on us (Burlington/Oakville) was forecast by TWN to total only 2-4cm. Environment Canada called for 10-15cm. Late in the day/evening TWN finally changed there totals to fall in line with Environment Canada's.

Neither one was correct but TWN's original forecast wouldn't have even been enough to mount the plows for. Supposedly the Golden Horseshoe Area is very difficult for forcasters to predict precip totals for because of the lake and escarpment. Whatever.

I use the "loop" feature with the radar on the internet, plus the jet stream and then compare that with the weather service forecasts to get a better idea.

I have better things to do than watch TWN on television. I have no interest in listening to some weather geek get all jacked-up as he tells me how individual snowflakes are formed. Just tell me how many of those flakes are gonna collect in my area and when, o.k. buddy?

:canada

·
Registered
434 Posts
Its the percentages data for snow that i cant stand. Try to figure out how much snow your supposed to get when they are calling for a 30% chance for snow, accumulating 1-3 inches. LOL - Two days out no less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been using intellicasts radar to gauge snowfall amounts. Noaa has been way off all year, and the weather channel has been a little bit better. The weather service we signed up for has been ok, but we down-graded service to snow totals only!

Chuck B.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
They are always way off.Snowfall amounts are usually way lower than what we ever get.

They did it again tonight.Called for 1-3 cm,we got 7-8 on the ground already,and it's still snowing.

Oh well.............

·
Registered
185 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. It was snowing crazy hard here and the radar had NOTHING within 3-400 kilometres of me on it! It's kinda weird because they get their info from Environment Canada. Oh well. What ya gonna do?

-Matt :canada

·
Registered
485 Posts
According to TWN were supposed to get 15-30 cm of snow last night. We got .001 cm of snow. Next week looks like temps of - 39 celcius and rain:confused: I definately put more faith in enviroment canada for forcasts or just use their satelite maps and radar and make my own assumption up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts