Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many times have you heard that? Or the "When I was a kid, barefoot to school in umpteen feet of snow, uphill both ways, etc"?

Well,, up here in the white hills of Vermont we're getting them NOW! Records go back to somewhere around 1900, so 100 years, maybe 20 snow events per year. So 2,000 recorded storms. Out of the top 10 snowfalls FOUR of them have been in the past three years. THREE of them in calander 2003, TWO of those in the past 10 days.

Officially a little over 36" at the Burlington airport. Unofficially, here in Milton, more like 44" in those two events. Bear in mind that an average winter here is 79.2" for the whole season.

I tend to think this year will be above average. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
And its not even winter yet!! We only need 3" more here to be at our seasonal average of 24" (based on 50 + some years). So this might be a good year here too, but then again it could not snow again all through winter, which I have also experienced. Stay tuned!

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
Last winter was the first in a long time that I remember seeing snow like when I was a kid. It was a chore keeping a path to the chicken coop cleared, and I never got to fire up the wood stove, couldn't get up to clean the chimney. Looks like this year might be similar, I hope so!

Last season was a good time for me financially!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I have been going to Vermont to ski or snowboard since I was 6 years old. I don't think I got a chance to go up there last season, as we were a little too busy here. But I do remember as a kid, and through my early 20's, that on the ride up there we would run into snow cover everywhere from close to the NJ\NY border and all the way north. I would get excited when I could finally see that first snow cover & would track how far into the trip it happened from year to year or trip to trip. THis was because I grew up in South Jersey close to the shore & warm ocean temps, which = rare accumulating snowfalls. But I do remember that for the past 10 years or so, that excitement was lost as there would be no snow cover until well into Vermont or even worse, until well into the higher elevations or right at the ski slopes, because they make it :( It would sure be nice to see snow all the way for the trip again like in my youth. :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts