Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this one from my grandfather! He waxed the front of all his snow plow blades with a good car wax! Told me snow would not stick as bad! I have done the same thing for years! Good, Bad, Makes no differance! I have found a good boat wax last longer! What do you all think!

ps. He had to put burt oil on shovels, farm plows, farm disks, calavators, The tought was dirt would not stick! His tools seemed to work better!

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Ive put a coat of wax on my blade a few times. Sometimes when I hear a forecast of heavy wet snow I will actually spray some of that heavy slippery tire dressing on my blade to really get it lubricated.

Jay

·
Registered
620 Posts
No, we just repaint once a year with Meyer SNO-FLO or Fisher plow paint. The new paint is pretty slick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use "PAM" the spray you coat frying pans with, it works great nothing sticks to the plow blade. Just my two cents worth. TJP:burnout

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Silicone spray works good also once a week or so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have any of you ever poured water on your blade before the snowfall to let it freeze into a thin coat of ice? I've done that in the past and it works pretty good. Not sure though if I have to do that with my poly blade. If we'd get some snow maybe I could find out!!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
wax it before the season and use silicone spray throughout...

·
Registered
265 Posts
wax

I think i am going to try pam on my blade i painted it but any thing that might help is worth a try !! good idea Campi!!!:cash let it snow!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I used to use Pam on my snowmobile skis, among other things on my sled. For radar runs! Pam sounds like a good product to try out.

Chuck B.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I've used the tire stuff, it works, but seems to come off before the end of the route.

I want to get my hands on some of that stuff Chevy Chase had in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, If his sled flew like that, imagine the snow flying off the blade!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Another vote for PAM. I've used PAM or the equivelant on my snowblower for years and very rarely will the snow, even wet slush clog the chute I reccomend it.

Dean

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Whos this PAM you gentlemen are talking about???????????? She must really be a hotty since she seams to travel around quite a bit. ;)

LOL

Just Kidding.

Jay

·
Registered
979 Posts
Perhaps spraying a coat of diesel would help. Nothing beat the smell of diesel. :D

Some guys acutally use them on dump trucks and trailers to help the load slide out easier. I also heard it could be used under the deck of lawn mower to minimize grass clippings build-up.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Even tho it diesel dosn't explode it still burns & the way I've seen some people laying down sparks I'd be kinda worried.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I knew it that someone will chime in and comment that sparks would be an issue. ;) I am not an expert, but I think that if you just spray a thin coat and make an initial plowing, the snow would wipe up the excessive diesel, but the diesel residue still would be on the blade, which should help the snow from sticking. Plus the blade will get moist from the snow, which would make it much more difficult to ignite. But if it should ever start to burn, just find a fresh snowbank and smoother it out. :D

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I do not know what the flashpoint of diesel is but dont think it will ignight plowing, anyway the sparks are behind the plow face while plowing.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Doesn't PAM or similar veggie sprays leave an oily residue after water washes off the main amounts? My tractor mounted snow blower was coated with the crud that turned black with soot and debris that easily collects to it. While it's better than nothing for clearing chutes and impeller blades, it does leave residue. As mentioned before, the factory Meyer or Fisher paints are pretty slick. Case in point, my moldboard is pretty clean versus the sticking snow on the cutting edge that's painted with Rustoleum.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts