Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that it would be a pain to install a 454 into my 78 3/4 ton pickup or would it? right now it's got a 350 c.i and would like to use a 454 for towing a boat or anything else that I can get my hand's on.What i'm wanting is some serious torqe and horse power ,or how it;s said there's no subitution for cubic inch's.Anyhow thanks for the time into reading this letter .So have a great chevy day Michael:burnout

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
There is lots of room for a big block in that 78:D Only thing you really need to do is move the motor mounts forward, and get a bigger radiator. I am not sure about the bellhousing on the big block compared to the 350, but i think they are the same.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
A big block will drop in with absolutly no problems, dont need to move mounts and the bellhousing will work fine.

radiator may be big enough

I would replace the motor mounts with fresh ones just since its easy to do with the motor out and they are probably 1/2 shot.

do a search and you can get a complete list of what will swap(like dist) and what wont swap(like some brackets) and you should be able to peice together all you need for the swap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
73-87 chevy trucks

Thank you sno joker and ratlover For getting back to me in this quick time . Sounds like it should be and easy job now all I have to do is find me a big block and have some fun, ha ha If you eed to get hold of me you've my e-mail address . Have A Great chevy Day olbluchevy:burnout

·
Registered
11 Posts
The big block is an easy drop in after 73, brackets will be differant so find a doner for them, you'll like the big block, it just feels good, older chevys require some custom mounts and some frame carving, but otherwise there is plenty room for a nice four row, will need to find a fan shroud from that doner vehicle as the big block shroud is shorter due to it sitting closer to the radiator, with casual drivig I actually picked up an extra mpg, it handles the 36 inch tires much better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts