Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Fisher manual recommends transporting my V blade in a straight across position fully raised. I always carried my straight blades angled and fairly low to the ground. Every V-plow guy I've seen carries there's in a "V" position.

How do you all carry yours, and why?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Most guys I know that have transport them in the v-position because it cut down on wind resistance

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
v transport

I see them being transported straight . Fisher may have a logical reason for it . Ask Plowtech (Brian ) in the Fisher Forum

·
Registered
866 Posts
I used to carry my straight blade the same way you do , but my new blade has the heavy duty Fisher Snofoil on it and I have founf it better up all the way and straight across. Everyone that I have ever know with a V-Blade carries it in the V-position to cut down on wind resistance while on the highway, but for around town/between accounts they usually keep it straight and up all the way. Never really asked them how it effects their temperature.

Bill

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I transport in the v position as well. The bigest reason is around here space is a real issue and that position is best since you "shorten" the plow buy a few inches on each side.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I've got a Lobo, and traveling I run the plow in a shallow v, I run the wings forward just untill the tower tips forward and drop the plow until the tips are just a couple of inches above the ground. In this configuration I can run the interstate at 65-70 in 50-60 degree weather and not bust 200 degrees

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
The boss I travel with it Ved back,since its 9'2" wide straight,and 8 ft wide veed,this is a the only way to run with it.The western doesnt like to be veed back,the ends drag on the ground on dips,so i run it in between full v and straight,just a slight V,that seems best.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ditto what John said;)

I run my Western Vee'd. I pull it back to full Vee, the bump it forward about 3'.

·
Site Founder
5,721 Posts
Transporting a 9.5 Western V, and an 8.5 Western V, same as John. And you learn real fast if you are going to pull into a parking lot or driveway with a dip at the end to move the blade to straight, or even scoop to not scrape when pulling in.

~Chuck

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
A 9.5 straight would be to wide for over the road carrying

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Ditto, what John and dockboy said.

Everett

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Im glad my western isnt the only one that drags a lot,LOL. The Boss does not do this at all.I run it full veed back,and it never touches or drags.It could be the truck though .The Dodge doesnt squat as much as the GMC does,that may have an affect on it.My GMC does have timbrens,the Dodge does not.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The Boss 8'2" on a GMC 2500 HD does not touch when in V position. You can literally put it into place and forget about it being on the front of the truck.

The same truck with the 9'2" holds the plow well, but at times you need to scoop a wing forward for pulling in/out of aprons. We do have timbrens on the front ends which I'm sure helps. The same plow on the 3500 is about the same as the 2500 HD, as the 3500 sits a little lower than the 2500 HD.

It's fairly rare that you have to move the blade, but often enough that you need to keep the controller in an easy to reach location just in case.

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
There's quite a few reasons to run it V'eed if possible.

Wind resistance is a big one but also the amount of weight you are adding to the front axle by extending it out is multiplied. It's better for the axle, suspension to keep it in as close as possible.

The width was also discussed, 8'6" is legal in MI on state roads, but not all counties will adopt that so some are only 8'.

With any plow I run them angled just so the truck doesn't work so hard pushing all the air straight out of the way instead of 'slicing' through it. It's simple aerodynamics. Running a blade straight also disrupts the airflow into the radiator more than on an angle.

The last reason I can think of is safety. If I'm running along a curb I angle it to the right so if I happen to catch the curb or snowbank I am much less likely to get spun around. If I'm in the left lane or with oncoming traffic, I angle it to the left so if they drift over the center line it will be more of a glancing hit instead of peeling the car open and also spinning me around.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
My old truck (2001 Ram 2500hd) Had the mvp 8.5, it would drag to at full v. I did as you guys said slight v back. Never had a problem with temp though in any postion. I guess because the ram sits so high. Allways have some grill exposed.
T

·
Registered
413 Posts
To add to Mark's comments about safety, when you have the blade angled out towards oncoming traffic it freaks them out a little bit. By angling the blade you lessen your profile to about the width of your truck and it appears less intimidating to oncoming motorists. A frightened motorist coming at you may have a knee jerk reaction potentially causing a problem for you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I aggree with Marks comments! I run with it in many postions. If i am going down the road and it is a windy day, i drive in v. Intown i drive with it angled away from the curb, so as not to clip a car. I'll tell you though, going down the highway yesterday in the 350 Lariat, the temperature gauge readout went from 40 to 140 deggrees!:D Probably cause the airflow was blocked. Jon

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've been treating it like a straight blade while transporting and haven't had any temperature problems. I vary between straight across, or angled one way or the other depending on which way I'm turning a corner or into a lot.

The plow edge is very low to the ground though when angled (or V-eed). Must be a GMC thing.:confused:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts