Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded out my gas vbox last year for the SHPE 2 yard. I like that it doesn't dump sand out of the bottom and have the typical gas motor issues and overall seems like fewer moving parts. I can also tell I am using a lot less material. The lighter weight and removable spinner is also nice when loading and storing.

We spread almost all sand and salt mix that is stored outside. I never had any issues with the conveyor style spreader and this mix. With the auger in the buyers spreader you rely on the vibrator to empty the hopper past the baffles. I have both baffles on mine set to about 3/4 open. I am finding the back half hopper empties the sand pretty good, but the front half hangs on the front of the hopper and the vibrator doesnt' have enough force to pull down more than a small stream. I think if we had sand stored inside this would be less of a problem but that's not an option.

With my old vbox I could make one pass and be done. I am finding I have to drive around and around to get the hopper to empty the sand from the front half of the load.

I am looking at a couple of options on the SHPE spreader. The first is to either add a larger vibrator to the buyers in the same spot as the current one. My other idea is to add a second vibrator of the same facotry size more towards the front of the spreader.

My other options is switch spreaders. I have been looking at a used series 2 smith spreader. I have read alot of postive reviews about these spreaders, but can't tell if they are primarily salt users or also sand users. Is anyone running a smith spreader with sand mix? How do you like it? The only thing I have found is that the spinner speed is slower than some like so they have swapped the gears. The series 2 is also single speed.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations to share? Just looking for ideas for next year.

Thanks!
Pete

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Have you tried adjusting your mix ratios to more salt, and back your rate down to make up for the slower feed rate ? Feeding sand and salt through an auger is a task for an electric spreader. If I were doing a mixed product Id be going with a smith spreader. They offer both auger and conveyor drive systems with feed rate and spinner speed controls on both.. You could try another vibrator.. its probably the cheapest option before trading up to another spreader... Its not to late to put one on and just time your unload times in the pile..

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
Is there a reason you're using sand? It has been the science for quite some time now that sand does nothing to melt ice or snow, straight or treated salt is recommended for use. I had a Salt Dogg at my job I ran straight salt in and didn't have the issues you describe at all.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Can't speak for Pete but around here sand is the norm,it's predominatley gravel/dirt drives and roads and salt does more harm than good.you learn to deal with it,plow the snow an spread sand for traction,we mix salt in the pile to help it from freezing,I'm sure many wil argue it but only the state and county run straight salt here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sand is popular here. They like to see the sand more than dry pavement.

I usually do sub work for other people so I don't get to control the mix or the storage. I usually cover breakdowns or smaller runs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up picking up a smith spreader. It's an older series 2 but it really good shape. I am going to replace the motor and bearings this spring and then pack it away for winter. I am also going to swap the gear from the spinner to the auger. I read that it helps speed up the conveyor and spreading time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts