Votes: 34 94.4%
  • Only when needed

Votes: 2 5.6%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you leave your V-Box on or off while snowplowing.
We leave our V-box off all time, unless they're needed.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I would leave it on while plowing, It will help as added ballast, and its one less trip you have to make. Once you are doing plowing you can then just salt the lot. JMO

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Needed for ballast on the flatbed. Without it, the rear end "floats". I used the sander as ballast for this storm. I still need more, so I'll try a half yard of sand/salt next time.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Some truck the v boxs stay in all winter.

Always plow with the v boxes in/on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We never plow with the v-box on. We find its quick to plow all the lots then come back and sand/salt later if needed. Then sanders hook-up to the trucks in about 5 minutes. No lifting required.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Sander on all the time. I'd love to find a way to take it off or on in 5 minutes. How do you do it?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its basically a 10' x 10' x 10' cube made out of 2" steel tube, with two winches. You just drive under the sander and lower it down, hook up the power and control cables and you’re away to the races.

·
Registered
668 Posts
OK probably something along the line of what I wanted to do out of 6x6 posts. Your way sounds better and safer. Any chance of some pictures? :) How do you have your sanders fastened to the truck? And is your sander empty when off?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Windmill, I don't know if this helps you. I rigged this up to store my Vbox. I just back under the rear one that has a one-ton chain hoist. I hoist it up and put a 4x4 and 6x6 under the rear of the Vbox and a 4x4 under the front of the box. It's high enough that I back the one ton flatbed under it in the garage at night. When I'm ready to hook it up, I can just hoist it up, remove the boards, lower it, unhook the hoist, hook up the two connectors and the ground wire, strap it down and I'm ready to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
668 Posts
Is the 2" tubing inside the wooden form I see there? Would the 2" posts be the same type as is used in some basement house supports? I like the versatility you have being able to back the truck in and not loose any space.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
windmill said:
Is the 2" tubing inside the wooden form I see there? Would the 2" posts be the same type as is used in some basement house supports? I like the versatility you have being able to back the truck in and not loose any space.
That's Mac who uses the tubing frame. This is all wood. This is all full-dimension lumber I get from a mill. Mostly 2x6s and 2x8s. On the back I use a 2x6 with a 6x10 on top of that to lift the box then set it down 4x4 and 4x6 in back and a 4x4 toward the front of the box.

If you'd like, I can get some better pictures of it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
If you wouldn't mind, and have the time, that would be great. I think mine would take a little longer to set up since it is bolted into my box, but I'm trying to devise a system that would be secure yet release quickly. I wish I were a welder so that I could try out my ideas myself. It's hard to explain to someone the ideas you have in your head. Oh well.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
The only time I took my V-box off when I had it was to use the truck for hauling. Otherwise, it stayed on the truck. It weighed 1000 pounds, was nice ballast for plowing. In extreme cases I'd put about a yard of material on for more weight.

It took me about an hour to remove the box and reinstall the tailgate, when you consider prepping the machine for lifting and everything else involved with the process, then another hour to reinstal the box for the next storm.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Windmill, I took several pictures from different angles. But I think this does the best overall job of showing it.

Attachments

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
We leave them on all during the storm, we need to pretreat lots, and then treat duing the storm as well
Dino

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I always keep one spreader in all season,and the one on my Dodge ill pull out as needed. A agree with Dino I need to have one truck just to pretreat lots.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts