Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While browsing the NYS DOT website, I ran into this page and thought that I'd bring this up to attention. To keep it short, it appears that if you have a pickup with commercial plates, and your GVWR of truck or GCWR of truck/trailer is over 10K (most likely), then you will need to obtain USDOT number for your vehicle with your business name lettered as well.

http://www.dot.state.ny.us/ts/files/usdotnumbernotice011906.pdf

I am clueless as to why this would be required. What is the point of having USDOT number anyway? It cost nothing to register, but still .... why? It seems that even if your truck has GVWR below 10K, you still may need it if you're going to be pulling trailer. What about those people that are doing business, but don't have their own offical (registered) business name? I can't image lettering your own personal vehicle.

I wonder what the fine (if any) would be if you were to run without the number.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Sounds suspect. I know in Maine you need Maine DOT #'s, but you need not display them.

If your traveling interstate, from state to state for commerce, you need fed dot #'s and they need to be displayed.

I read the link, but I'm still not sure why they require fed #'s if you're not crossing state lines. I'd make a few calls.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
snonut12 said:
I wonder what the fine (if any) would be if you were to run without the number.
Keep running without them and you'll find out before long. If nothing else, it's another opportunity to generate revenue through violations.

I've got my trucks numbered, I don't need the hassle. If you plan to haul inside the limits they've established, you better plan on conforming to the rules or pay the penalty.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought so, but found out that it's not just for interstate driving. There is another page saying that if you're engaged into intrastate driving, then it would be displayed as USDOTxxxxxxNY.

Pelican, if that is the way it will have to be, then I will do whatever to stay legal. I am just wondering what is the point of having USDOT number?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I was told... if you need them you need to display them........ but that was by the Colorado State Commercial Enforcement Trooper...

I have got them on my truck now:mad:

·
Registered
156 Posts
From what I know when I was researching them her in CT. There are to types.

Intrastate= USDOT#########CT for in state travel.

Interstate= USDOT######### no state sufix. for state to state travel.

In CT. it is free to get the # through the DMV.

Interstate # you can go to the federal US DOT web site to apply.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Stephen,

Its actually not just a NYS ..federal mandate, now weither some people follow it or its enforced is another

I do know that NYC seems to strickly enforce the idetification of commercial vehicles, to what end I dont know.

Pete

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
How about the company name/lettering on the vehicle? I ask only because I have my DOT #'s on both trucks, but only the 550 is lettered/company name. The Freightliner only displays the DOT#...

I see many trucks lettered and many with nothing.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I never had to do this dot number what is the perpouse of it? If you have a license plate on? it's free everyone has just been saying . I'm ust curiouse if it's a nation wide thing then one dot number should do it all but i see there is in state out of state and indevidual state prefix on there ?? To me just semas like another way to justy spending more $$ for guys and trucks I mean there's nothing that your plate does not do right ? just more crap to put on your truck .

·
Registered
225 Posts
"Beginning July 5, 2006, this requirement will also apply to trucks and truck/trailers
with a gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight of 10,001 lbs. or more."

That's crazy, many half tons have a GCW over 10,000. Pardon me, but f*** New York State. If all my family and friends weren't here I'd have left years ago. It's just one thing after another. Nothing like waiting for you federal tax return so you can pay the money you owe on your state taxes (just did that).

They'll tell you the DOT number is about safety and Homeland Security and all that, but it's a crock. It's just another thing for them to write tickets about. They'll have a blind trooper standing 50 feet from your truck writing a ticket because he can't read the number.

As for the question about a personal vehicle (not registered to the business), but used for the business (on a mileage basis), that is interesting. Doesn't seem like that vehicle should need a DOT number but maybe it does. I know a guy with an F-350 P/U that pulls a fifth wheel trailer and he had to get a NY HUT sticker for his pickup so they would stop harassing him.

·
Registered
837 Posts
States very on enforcement of the laws,seems NY is really up on them the last 2 years. But federal law Requires all trucks 10,000+# to be issued and display DOT Nos. Also ANY person driving a truck over 10,000 must have a Dot medical card,not a CDL but you must have the card. I don' know why but thats the way it is. Trust me on this, I have just finished my go rounds in court,here in Mass. There are a bunch of other things you need to have to go with your DOT Nos. Fire extinguisher,with its location clearly marked,flares and or reflectors,and don't forget the chocks!

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Well that means that every one with a new F-350 has to have and get one as they are all over 10K gvw.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
That would also mean the Ford Excursions too... I cant't see Sue homemaker with dot # on her oversize grocery getter...

or does NY do like CT on those and put regular plates on them?? passenger plates, not combo or commercial?

Pete

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
That is a point so what is the difference between an excursion for susie or joe the iron worker with commercial plates. Same truck same capacities

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
NY wont do pass plates if the truck weighs 5000lbs or more empty,you must have commercial plates.There is a way around it,they accept certified scale ticket fron the owner,put a lighter truck on the scale.My CTD was regged in NJ when i bought it as a pas vehicle,and the title said 4990lbs,and NY would not accept that.There DMV database shoed the truck should have weighed 6690,and if i wanted to dispute it i could get it weighed,and bring in the weight ticket.I wanted commercial and full GVWR,so,didnt care,but i learned that.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Cat,

Down here in CT you would end up with 2 different plates. Two different registration fees. The excursion would get a passenger plate and a $80 fee I believe it up to now. The F350 could get either a combo plate or a commercial plate. The registration cost for that is over $200. CT does it by gvw to calculate the cost. So from a DMV view.. just more money for them

Pete

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
My 350 is reg by the gvw too i belive $15 per 1,000 lbs commercial plates

·
Registered
225 Posts
Rick said:
Also ANY person driving a truck over 10,000 must have a Dot medical card,not a CDL but you must have the card. I don' know why but thats the way it is.
Haha that's intersting. I've been driving CDL trucks for years without a med card since my employer didn't ask for one. Figure I'll have to sooner or later but I'm not driving now. I only drive my own truck and it has historical plates so I figure I'm exempt.

On the scale issue they wouldn't register my Brockway last year since it hadn't been registered in 15 years. Apparently they had no records. I got into a yelling match at the DMV. She says "You have to get it weighed." I said "How do I get it to the scale without license plates?" She says "Tow it." I say "Is NYS going to pay for it, I'm not paying $300 and hour (what my wrecker guy charges) to tow it to a scale because you guys F***ed up?? She says "No." So I said fine "[expletive][expletive]" and left. I ended up going to the truck stop and bribing a truck driver to put his tractor on the scale and bribing the girl at the fuel desk to type what I wanted on the scale. Went to a different DMV the following Monday (the incident was on Friday) and got it all set. I love screwing over NYS.

·
Registered
188 Posts
States very on enforcement of the laws

Thats an understatement, being in long haul trucking for 25 years, I used to think it was 48 countries not 48 states.

Years ago before the IFTA (international fuel tax agreement), I had at least 26 fuel stickers and another 9 or 10 license plates that ALL had to be displayed on the truck, and dont dare put the fuel stickers on the wrong side either.

The paper work was neverending. One DOT number is nothing nowadays, just part of the big brother thing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts