Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Director of Comedy
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At one of my accounts I have over 3000 ft of ten ft wide sidewalk. I have been doing it with a 4wd 2120 tractor. This year due to a broken water pipe and flood the sections of walk have heaved and the city has no intention of fixing it till spring. My concern is going down the walk and hitting a section and well... you know sliding down the hood and burning my nose on the stack LOL so my idea is to put an old 8 foot fisher on the front and put a urethane edge on it to soak up some of the shock. Whats your opinion of this? anyone here running urathane and whats your views? Thanks a buch guys.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Bill, i run u edges,and they are the ticket,IMO. i wont use steel anymore,so id try it out.You defintley will have a lot less vibration,and bumping transfered to the truck.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Ditto! That would be a good way to deal with that problem for sure.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
the u-edge definatly sounds like the way to go... becides the other advantage is once they repair all that sidewalk in the spring there gonna want it to stay nice and not be all scraped up so running the u-edge will keep it from getting blade scrapes next winter... sounds kinda like a win win situation...

·
Site Founder
5,721 Posts
I would want a U edge on any sidewalk myself. It will handle gaps and high spots 100X better than a steel edge. It should float right over, and you will just feel a little thump.

On a lot I used to plow with a u edge, there was a trench drain across the driveway that would stop the truck if the plow had a steel edge. The u edge just thumped right over it like it wasn't there....

~Chuck

·
Registered
719 Posts
I do about 15 miles of sidewalks with a Trackless, tried U-edge last year. It's the ticket for expansion joints, The Trackless has a full trip blade, and the steel edge was always catching an edge, and partially tripping, with the U-edge this was eliminated, plus the operator was a lot happier. The U-edge I tried last year didn't wear as well as I expected, got about 1000 miles out of it, about the same or a little less then the OEM steel edge. Trying a Superior edge http://www.superiortire.com this year. So far I have about 75 miles on it and it's just worn to the angle of the plow, a little early to tell if it will wear better, but looks good so far.

Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts