Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a number of inquiries on another thread about the spot light I have on my truck. It's a Unity 6" halogen model which installs in the door post, like the cops use.

My area is rural with no public lighting, I use it to locate the clients driveway during heavy snow conditions, and under a heavy snow cover. It also helps me figure out where I want to put my deer stand!;) Any repairs in the field are made easier too, this thing can really shed light on a subject.

Here's a photo of the "In use" position.

Attachments

·
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And a shot of the inside. Sorry its so dark, didn't look so bad when I took it. I'll take one with flash tomorrow.

The install isn't all that difficult, they give you a template with a drilling jig for your vehicle, you attach it and drill a 1/2" hole through the door post. You'll need a long sharp 1/2" bit.

Next you install the mounting bracket, assemble the light, and get your juice. The light has a built in switch.

It takes about 2 hours to do a nice neat job with hidden wiring and rust preventative measures taken.

I have one to install on my 550, I'll put together a "How to" when we get a break in the weather.

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
Does that light "fold in" from the inside or do you move it manualy?

·
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can aim the light from inside by pivoting or twisting the handle you can almost see. In cases of freezing rain, it will sometimes freeze up, but an occassional shot of WD40 minimizes this.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
They are nice lights had two on a town truck i ised to drive.Was great for finding the street names i had to plow to on my route at night when i first plowed for the town.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Pelican, we spoke about the install for one on these. One more question: is the length adjustable (cut to fit). I have a small Toyota and I don't want the hangle banging me in the forehead

·
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are different models available for different vehicles, depending on the length of reach needed. I had one on a Taurus that was fairly long, the one on this truck is pretty short in comparison. The handle ends up between the steering wheel and the winshield, so you hit the steering wheel before this would cause you injury.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts