Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had the plow on (but no snow) this is a used but new installation, Im finding when the lever (small joy stick, newer version) is in float position the blade will not float but will stay in the position were ever you take your finger off the control. If i want to remove the blade I have to put a weight or get some one to hold the control in the down position to get the lift arm fully retracted. After talking to the Western dealer he says I need a new control box for $350. plus taxes. what do you think? Im wondering if it is stiff ram packing or something . will it loosen up? or will i need the box thanks craig

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
If the plow is on the ground, and the lift arm is still up a bit, you will have to push it down, as the ram is only going to be contracted by the weight of the plow if it is still suspended in the air. The piston won't contract all the way on its own, there is no power down. When I remove my plow, due to how the chain is set (to allow for drop if I am plowing over a hill in a drive or someting like that) the cylinder is about 7/8 of the way contracted, I have to push it down the rest of the way, or else it will not drop on its own.

I think this is what you are talking about. If not, I completely misunderstood you, and will try again!:headwall
Hopefully, I got the right idea.:shades

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John if I want the plow to go down I have to hold it in the down position . this is a new plow to me . with my Myers if I put it in the float position it will go down, if I want to discunnect the chain I can manually push the ram down . on the western I have to in essence activate the switch by getting someone to hold it in the down position or put a weight like a shopping bag with some weight in it on the joy stick so I can get out an manually push the ram down. this would seem to me that while plowing on uneven ground I will have to hold the switch in the float position .Is this the way it is suppose to be ? thanks Craig

·
Registered
132 Posts
$350 is WAY to expensive for a Unimount controller. I am looking in a parts catalog right now, and see that list price on the whole control unit is $211.20 Retail: $ 192.00 You can also get the P.C. Board only for $104.00 retail.

Sounds like your dealer is trying to stick it too you.

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
As they have said, it is not supposed to funtion like that. If it were me, I would take the controller apart an inspect for somekind of damage to the board, or a loose solder connection or something. And if it wasn't so close to plow season, I'd probabyl send it to an Electronics Repair company to have them look at it/repair it. Although you may be able to find a complete one on ebay for less, I think I saw one for $75, but it had a few days left on it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
At one time Western had 2 different styles of controls. My first one would act as you described my new(10 years old) control once pressed down it drops to the ground. I can't remember exactly but try to press down twice on the joystick to get it to float. In my manual it shows the 2 styles and says the only difference between them is the float funtion.

Ray

·
Registered
8 Posts
Capt Craig,

I had the same problem last year. I don't know of you have found a new controller yet? But what I found out was that there are relays on the PC Board in the controller. If you know how to soder you can get the relays from:

Newark Electronics (& order them online)

The PN is JS1A-12V

They are dirt cheap but it will cost more in shipping than the actual relays themselves, & you can get them shipped next day air.

Good luck & Hope this helps.

Chris J Buller
Grazon Snowplowing

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Travel & Bar Consultant
2,029 Posts
CAPT...Just a thought......My new Ultra...You have
to hold the button in the down position a few
extra seconds after the blade drops fully.

Then it goes into the float position.........
(float light comes on)...............geo

·
Registered
121 Posts
You should only have to hold down for a second with the joystick style as it has what is called a latching relay soldered on the board. This holds the 2-way valve open so the plow would float. There were a few controls years back that required to be held down for three seconds but you stated that this is a newer one and it should go into float without holding the lever down. An easy way to tell if it is the control would be to remove the cover that covers the valves. Put the control in the float position. The coil with the white wire should have 12 volts to it all the time till you hit the raise button. The boards are replaceable and the cost is around $130.00 list.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finaly got my truck to a western dealer. the problem was in the wiring harness but mainly the solinoid .the previous owner decided to put a ford solinoid in which has a negative ground and apperantly the western is a positive ground so the polarity was reversed. everthing worked but the float. the dealer was amazed it worked at all. but with the new solinoid it now works fine . nothing to do with the controller. thanks for your help. Craig

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.