Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for help with the removal and storage of my electric under the tailgate saltdogg spreader. I've seen guys use a bobcat, forklift even a engine hoist to remove and install. I am disabled and wondering if someone has another way of removal etc. Its too heavy to get off myself and limited storage space here at my home thank you

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
you could rig up a couple of stands like saw horses on either side of the unit in The location you want it then just pull the pins and drive off once you’ve supported the weight. Then cover it and drive back into position in the winter and rehook it up.

·
Registered
345 Posts
You don't say what your objection was to the suggestions already given, so I'll assume it is money.

@WalterFGBS's suggestion of saw horses would be the cheapest by far but if you are disabled, I think you might have difficulty releasing it since the horses won't lift up the take the weight off the pins. Assuming you have a garage, an overhead hoist in conjunction with the horses might be better. If you are only using it twice a year, HF has ones for under $200.

Horror Freight Hoist

You might need to add a chain sling as well due to the width.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
personally, I think the safest way to do it is a forklift. Any other method will be extremely difficult I feel to ensure that truck realigns with truck mounts.

·
Registered
345 Posts
personally, I think the safest way to do it is a forklift. Any other method will be extremely difficult I feel to ensure that truck realigns with truck mounts.
Agreed, though I understand why someone who has no other need for a forklift might balk at dropping $5k to buy a crappy used one to remove a $5k spreader twice a year

Another option might be to check with a local shop that sells spreaders and see if they will remove and store the unit on their site. We offer that service here, though I won't say it's popular.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
that is the best option yet the storage service. That saves him everything space, time and the hassle of trying to Jerry rig a stand that is stable enough to back into for reattching.

·
753 Posts
All good suggestions,
How about hiring Some manual labor / hauling / moving people to help you.
A HR of time can’t be that expensive.

Or the saw horses
Shim or support the spreader.
Then lift the box until the weight is on the saw horses.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you could rig up a couple of stands like saw horses on either side of the unit in The location you want it then just pull the pins and drive off once you’ve supported the weight. Then cover it and drive back into position in the winter and rehook it up.
Going to try this today ty very much, I have a pair of horses that claim they hold 1200 pounds spreader prob weighs 4 to 600 pounds

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All good suggestions,
How about hiring Some manual labor / hauling / moving people to help you.
A HR of time can’t be that expensive.

Or the saw horses
Shim or support the spreader.
Then lift the box until the weight is on the saw horses.
saw horses is whats on the menu ty

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that is the best option yet the storage service. That saves him everything space, time and the hassle of trying to Jerry rig a stand that is stable enough to back into for reattching.
they want too much to store and its too far but ty anyways

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You don't say what your objection was to the suggestions already given, so I'll assume it is money.

@WalterFGBS's suggestion of saw horses would be the cheapest by far but if you are disabled, I think you might have difficulty releasing it since the horses won't lift up the take the weight off the pins. Assuming you have a garage, an overhead hoist in conjunction with the horses might be better. If you are only using it twice a year, HF has ones for under $200.

Horror Freight Hoist

You might need to add a chain sling as well due to the width.
I also thought about getting engine hoist with an engine hoist and rigging a bar with hooks to do it but just dont have the height clearance in the garage for this to work for me, my buddy did it that way but its not practical for me

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Im going to try the saw horses today, they say they support 1200 pounds, I have a perfect spot for the spreader. I should be able to back up use some shims as mentioned and remove pins and (not sure about these 2 arms whether leave them or remove them?) and slowly pull out. Ill keep everyone posted ty to all who has helped

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
You will want 2x4’s or 2x6’s to help support the weight plus if make the platform wider than your truck you can avoid running into sawhorses completely. I would also remove all removable mounting supports for the spreader to keep them safe from damage while not in use.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts