Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you guys replace the main motor solenoid? With the pump motor drawing 150 amps, it explains why ours only last 2 seasons.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I used to replace them every year or two,thinking i'll catch it before it fails.

I've since been waiting until they fail,but it's been 3-4 years,and they are still going strong.

I make sure they are mounted in an easy spot to get to,and carry spares,so I can swap them in a min or two if they ever fail.I do clean and grease the connections every year,so they will come off easy if I do need to change it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have had them go 5 years! I keep one in a kit for each truck!
I guess it depends on what plowing you do!

·
Registered
905 Posts
I get 2 seasons if i'm lucky so i carry a spare,never changed one out in the field yet.....yet:p

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
My v plow is on its 6th season and sill works great. Its in a clean and dry location. It has 0 corrosion on it. But I carry 2 spares for me and the other trucks JIC
Dino

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you can not change in field! (snowing,wind blowing 30+, 2am) You can jump it out to raise plow and get to better working conditions! Been there Done that. I keep a screw driver for jumper! Have someone hold up & short across leads!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a used Fisher EHP. I just finished mounting my solenoid
under the hood. It works fine, but I was wondering what size fuse to use in the "signal" side. The guy I bought it from just had the 14 or 16ga wire to the BAtt side of Solenoid, the manual from fishers site shows a fuse on that wire so I got a fuse holder but found no mention of the size fuse.

thanks

Dean

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder why Fisher doesn't use a larger size solenoid so that they don't fail as often?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Dean,you need a inline fuse at the "switched" line going to the fuse box,it's typically a little 7 amp jobbie.

·
Registered
905 Posts
CPSS said:
I wonder why Fisher doesn't use a larger size solenoid so that they don't fail as often?

$$$$,those stupid little things cost pennies to make,it'a all about money.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
You only need a small fuse for that circuit,as the control side draws about an amp tops.I'd use a 5 amp fuse,as they are much more common,and easier to get,but any fuse over 2 amps would work.

If you use too big of a fuse,and a small trigger wire,you run the risk of the wire catching fire before the fuse blows if you have a dead short.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts