Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my u-edge on a Western Poly Pro and am still getting a little chatter when the blade is straight?

I bought a new cutting edge (steel) mounted this first then the u- edge then the old cutting edge on the outside, to make a sandwich.

A new steel cutting edge for the poly it is not center drilled, there is 4" of cutting edge and 2" above. So I top drilled the u-edge and mounted it with the 1 1/2" below the bottom of the new cutting edge, then i broke it in, backdragging it first (on wet pavement) i then drove forward and kept angling back and forth this worked and it is broke in. (flush with the pavement)

Now with the angle cut in to the u-edge the difference there is about 3/4 of an inch form the new steel edge.

Is this correct and why am i still getting chatter?

Oh yea, the only snowfall that i have had a chance to use the u-edge was 4" that turned over to rain, so it was a wet heavy, slushy mess. (If this matters)

I really like the u-edge, the abuse i take is really reduced and its so quiet most of my customers didn't know I had been there left, I got a call asking when I was coming and I said I just left 10 min ago she complemented me after I explained why she didnt hear all the noise!

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
333 Posts
i think most guys put the U edge followed by the old cutting edge but i could be wrong.

i do know that some guys drive it on bare dry pavement to break it in.

dino should no the answer since he sells and uses them

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
"Oh yea, the only snowfall that i have had a chance to use the u-edge was 4" that turned over to rain, so it was a wet heavy, slushy mess. (If this matters) "

I had the same conditions with that storm and I had the same chatter after the rain had been coming down for a while the other night. My urethane is well worn in with a few of years & a couple of hundred hours of plow time into it. My theory is the extremely warm pavement temps & extremely wet conditions created the chatter, after not having experienced chatter for years now. You should not experience that as much with the next real snow fall with cold conditions, after broken in.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I also had some chatter during the last storm . (my first storm with the edge)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mikegamb, This is trus but due to the moldboard being Poly, Dino said that it would be better if the edge had something SOLID behind and in front of the u-edge, if the moldboard was steel then it wouldn't matter, Thanks.

BRL, I didnt know that with the edge being only 3/4 of an inch
below the new steel edge mattered or if i needed to somehow move it down to the 1 1/2" being exposed, i kind of figured that the slushey mess may have had somethng to do with it, Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
THe 3\4" is better actually, you would have more chatter at 1.5". You'll just need to move the edge or flip it sooner, like 2 years or so, instead of 4 years or so. ;)

Now that I think about it, mine was installed over 1.5" originally & I never corrected it. So even now that it has some wear in it, it might just be close to 1.5" give or take a little. I'll have to take a look at that.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Well I just looked & I am now 3" from the plow edge, so now I'm not surprised at the chatter during the last event. Getting there LOL.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BLR, Wow 3" you should be "hopping" from one job to the next!LOL.

With as flexable as the u-egde is does the 3" have a bend or curl in it like the rubber ones ?

Hey if it aint broke dont fix it!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm suprised Dino hasent had any input??????

Mike

·
Registered
309 Posts
Mine is also 3" from the trip edge.

The only time mine will chatter a little is if the blade is straight and straight with the truck and the pavement is completely clean.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dockboy, I just checked out your picks, and you dont get much chatter either WOW!

well i guess i will just have to wait for a good snowfall and see how i make out.

Thanks for all the info!

Mike

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
The only thing I can think of is that even tho you have a solid backer for the u edge, the bolts are towards the top. That amount of space may leave the edge more open to some chatter.
The wet slushy mess may also have had a bearing on the matter.
Dino

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dino, I have this edge installed with Grade 8 bolts and have it torqued to 140 flbs there is no play at all !!

I think it was the fact that it was a rainy slushy 4" mess and the temp was rising.

I like it, don't get me wrong, I was more interested in the fact that i only had 3/4 of an inch below the cutting edge and was wondering if that was the problem.

we will hopefully be getting more snow soon and i will let you know.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts