Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still in the process of shopping for a skid steer. I will probably put a Blizzard 810SS on it. I was wondering for those of you who have used a 2 speed machine does it have enough power to move snow in the high speed mode? I have not decided on a brand yet as I am still shopping. I know the high speed mode will be great for moving from site to site, but I am mostly intrested in if I can move snow in the high speed mode. CAT is suppose to be coming out with a machine in February that will have High Flow and a 2 speed option. The only have one or the other as of now.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
While I don't have a two speed option on my skid I would suggest that you'll probably have to treat it on a case by case basis. If the snow is the heavy wet kind then you'll have to adjust accordingly (take smaller bites or use the low gear) and listen to the machine. Ours had no difficulty with even our heavy snowfall last year but it also weighs in at about 8000 lbs. If given the option I say always buy more than you need, but not more than you can afford ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JDPLOWER,

If I remember correctly you have a 810SS mounted on a skid steer? What kind of skid steer do you own? Also do you have the hand controls? If so, did you wire you 810SS so you can use the factory controls?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
The bobcat is 1996 953. It doesn't have factory hand controls (BICS) so we used the blizzard controller mounted on top of the left hand stick. A dealer should be able to direct wire to your factory controls but you might want to check with them to be sure.

BOBCAT BLIZZARD

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I used a Cat 95XT with 2 speed before. No blades or snow buckets or boxes. Just the regular bucket that was on it for the construction site we were at. It had no problem pushing 6" of snow across a lot in high speed. So it would push with snow gear I'm betting, but maybe not as fast.

·
Registered
564 Posts
2 Speed is the only way to go if you are buying new . Its not that expensive of a option , and once you run in high gear you feel like a snail in low gear. Just like JD said , just plow in high , if it bogs it down ( would take alot of snow / or slush to do that) just hit the switch and go into low on the fly . Im curious as to why you want/need high flow ..... very few attachments need it , just curious as to what you were going to run with it.If you ever have a question about a attachment or Bobcat ... let me know.
Scott

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I plan on using High Flow for possibly the following attachments; Snowblower, Auger, and a Stump Grinder. I would rather have the possibility of adding high flow attachments than not having the possibility. For example you can never have too much HP or to much S_X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I have to agree always betere to have than not especially if you plan on getting those types of attachements.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spoke with Caterpillar today and they will be coming out with 2 new models in January. The 248B and I think the other one was a 268B, but I am not sure on that one. Both models will have advanced XPS High Flow Hydr. and the 2 speed standard. The XPS High Flow is suppose to be better than the standard high flow, but they started talking over my head. The 248B will be a Radius Lift and I think the 268B is going to be the Vertical Lift model. I am going to demo a Bobcat on Friday and probably wait for the new CATS to come out and try them.

I know there are many good machines on the market, but both Bobcat and Caterpillar have service locations within a few miles of my sites and home.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Two Speed

You will have no trouble plowing in high range as long as you have a big machine with enough H.P. I never saw a smaller skid steer try it but I have a Cat 246 with the two speed and an 810SS Blizzard. It worked great last year, much better than I expected.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dynamike or JD Plower how do you guys like your 810SS for stacking snow? Have you had any problems or concerns with yours? Would you buy another 810SS or would you look at something different?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Yes I would buy another 810ss. If I had a sub with one (a skid) then I would probably get a box but that has more to do with how much they cost by comparison. The only issue with stacking I have had is the plow was a little "floppy" when stacking snow. Granted it was very wet snow but thats the type we get around here.

I do recomend them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
We have two skid steers. Our older one, a HydraMac, is a one speed. Our Bobcat is a 2-speed with the high-flow hydraulics, and Steve won't even think about a one-speed again. Even if you need to go down into low for pushing, being able to move around more quickly really boosts efficiency. 12-14 mph doesn't sound that fast, but it is about double the 6-8 mph the single-speed can do.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just mounted an 8611 on a customers new holland LS190 it's a huge machine but what a combination!!!!!!!! He's gonna move some snow fast with that combo.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
That does sound like a good combo LS 190 That machine must be hugh.My friend has a LS180 a couple of housed down from me and that is a big machine.

I hope you got some pictures of that with the blade on.:grinz

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'll post pictures as soon as I get a chance . Left the camera at the shop. I've got a great shot of the plow in the air. that thing is going to be a serious stacking machine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts