Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw then at the S & I show and they lloked pretty good.The rep said that they spread a sand salt mix pretty good and that they come with 2 vibrators as standard equipment. I know Johny D has one but over all would these be a good upgrade from my fisher spcII ? and How do you guys have them mounted besides drilling into the bed. Can they be latched or straped down?How is the spread patern with the mix? or do these work better with bulk salt?

I liked them when i took another close look at them beacuse they are all plastic not rot .
How is the auger part of it? has any one got a big rock or somthing else that would kill this unit stuck there where they would have to shovel it out?

If you have one would you get another?

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Cat, From what little ive used mine( i have spread about 15-20 tons thru it.I can tell you that it can clog pretty easily.What happens with mine is a smalll chunks of salt will get hung on the feed for the auger.These chunks arent big enough to stop the auger ,but they arent small enough to fit between the screws in the auger.So these chunks bounce on the screw of the auger.What this does is slow down the feed rate,by blocking the free flowing salt from running thru the screw.This happens a lot and is very annoying. These chunks easily fit thru the stock top screen too.I think the top screen needs to be finer,and that would make loading take longer.What I do is keep a broom handle with me,and if i need to i get out, hop up top and knock the chunk down into the aguer then it passes thru.If you handle chunky material often,I would stay with the conventional V box.My bradford V box eats anything,I never have this problem with it. The snow ex does have a lot of advantages,though,so weigh them and im sure you'll like it if you get it.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
"How is the auger part of it? has any one got a big rock or somthing else that would kill this unit stuck there where they would have to shovel it out?"

FWIW,

Simply put "YES" I ran about 120 tons through a Vee Pro 8000 last year and let me tell you this much from personal experience, chuncks, rocks, and whatever might be able to slip between the small 8" screw type auger and the 10" opening to the spinner will jam it and stop it from running, check for CL code. And "YES" I have had to dig all the way down to the auger to clear jams with a full spreader during a storm to get it running again. When you are running bulk salt by the truck load you can never be sure what you are going to get anytime during the season, and when the snow is falling wasting time on equipement failure is a killer. I did add 5/16 steel rod from side to side cuting the opening in the top screen in half and that did help some. I was up front with the guy I sold to and told him if we was running bagged salt most of the time this is a good unit to have, he said he did not run bulk salt much at all.

John is right with his post, and I agree that the overall design is awesome. Lighter to have in you truck, easy to push in, or pull out, polly means no rotting, easy to clean but, and the capicity is very questionable. If you want a unit that can take some abuse and be dependable you might want to consdier something that is proven.

I replaced the Vee Pro with a Swenson 8' 2yd. steel real V box with the 11 HP honda up grade. During a test run with the Swenson I loaded three buckets level giving me right at 2 tons of salt at the scale. Run the spreader to unload back onto the pile and it empty in a timed 5 minutes wide open with a spread of at least 40'. Although I made money last year with the Vee Pro I learned that I needed something this year that would put out more product with no hassel, I added a dump truck with HYD undertailgate spreader and increased my account list three fold there is no time for broom sticks, and stoping to push salt down in the spreader, that is why I went to a V box and bulk salt.

Again not bashing the Vee Pro, just a honest no BS assestment and if I could have found a proven all electric spreader with a conveyor design I would have bought one and avoid the gas unit. After looking, calling, and searching high and low I could not find a local dealer in the state. If I worked hear a Downeaster dealer I would have bought a downeaster all electric SS V box.
Just my experience.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts