Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the deal. When i got the plow installed last wed i noticed right away that my blinkers would only blink once and stop.
I was heading up the canyon going home, with the plow in the up position and turned about 20* to the drivers side. I happen to look down at my temp guage and noticed that it spiked up high, but not pegged. It instantly droped back down to normal levels. It alarmed me, but not so much that called anyone about it.
Friday i drove the truck down with the plow attached so the dealer could get the blinkers working right, well he coudnt get me in that day so on the way home going up the canyon, it spiked again, this time it pegged my guage. The gauge once again instantly dropped and the truck went into some sort of saftey mode. I could not go above 2000 rpms.
I didnt post this hear because i thought i might have a truck problem, but then i realized that its too coencidental that it started happening as soon as i got the plow installed.
Any one know what could be causing this sudden spike and drop in temp?
I checked my fluid level in the resivor and the radiator and i cant see any fluid in either, but that happend after the truck over heated friday night. I havent drove it sense. Im waiting to call the nissan dealer tomorrow.
If the nissan dealer determins that the wiring is jacked on the plow install i hope the dealer will foot the bill. I think im going to take it to the truck dealer first before i take it to the plow dealer. Im not convinced that it was the plows fault, it just seems strange with the timing of the incendent.
Here is my rig
2005 Nissan frontier 4x4 NISMO
sno way 22 series 6-8 poly blade.
THANKS every one for looking, Mods, if this is in the wrong place let me know.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Don't worry it is just the plow blocking the air flow to the radiator. Try traveling with the blade as low as safely possible to provide as much air as you can. Do you have a rubber deflector on the plow? Sometimes they fly up and can block even more air.

Going up hill the mountains is alot of work for the engine, more heat is generated that needs to be rejected by the radiator. Going down hill you didn't have the problem correct?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
chtucker said:
Don't worry it is just the plow blocking the air flow to the radiator. Try traveling with the blade as low as safely possible to provide as much air as you can. Do you have a rubber deflector on the plow? Sometimes they fly up and can block even more air.

Going up hill the mountains is alot of work for the engine, more heat is generated that needs to be rejected by the radiator. Going down hill you didn't have the problem correct?

Would the truck come out of safety mode? Some of the auto experts on here might tell you how to reset the codes

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
chtucker said:
Would the truck come out of safety mode? Some of the auto experts on here might tell you how to reset the codes
no it didnt happen when i was going downhill, both times it happend on the way up the 4000' climb in the canyon. I travel with the plow all the way up and with it tilted 20* to the drivers side.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Try traveling with it lower, maybe straight, maybe tilted slightly to one side, leave 3-4" off the ground to allow for bumps/take it slower.... all of that will help.

Chris or Fred might have ideas on resetting codes...

Is operating ok now?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i havent turned the truck on since friday night after i hobbled home. I check fluids this morning, and thats about it. I work weekends and i have been driving my other vehicle. I was alittle freaked out that i overheated my truck. I started a thread on my other fourm that i call home. I didnt think it was the plow when i started trouble shooting, i thought it was a thermostat. It strange how fast it spikes and drops back to normal temps.
Here is the thread on the other forum (its a stove forum, so any of you wood, coal, gas, or pellet burners, this place is a great resource)
http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/6873/

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry, i tried to edit my last post and the time expired. I was going to delete the URL. That thread is in the members only section, so you cant view it unless you sign up.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Your plow is blocking your air flow as mentioned above. Try running with is down as above, also run your heater/fan on high with temp maxed, as the cooling will help. This is one reason why I swiched to V plows, even then if the fan clutch isn't working properly they run hot, the stuff listed above is what I do & it helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that puts my mind at rest. What realy concerned me is that the truck was running at typical temps, then spiked suddenly, then dropped back down suddenly. I guess this is normal :) i will take my truck to the dealer and have them reset the service engine light. Thanks again folks.
Ryan

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Stove,

The plow blocks the air flow. then as it gets up too hot the fan kicks in to cool down the truck.. its normal typically when running a plow in front..

You will just need to find out where to position the plow best to get better air flow..

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Make sure your fluids are full before you drive it again.
Your mind shouldn't be at ease until you figure out how to drive it without spiking the temp. Climbing hills always develops more heat. You may have to drive slower and change blade positions like was already mentioned. Everything was ok before the plow was installed so any wiring problems are most likely the result of the plow install. Also if your running in OD you might want to switch it off if possible. This will unload the engine slightly and help your overheating going uphill.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i buying anifreeze today. The flashers dont work right, i was going to take it back down wednesday to have the plow dealer look at it but i think i wont now. If i cant get my truck not to spike im not going anywhere with it. I am going to take the truck to the dealer, i think they will identify if there is a wiring problem. If there is, then i will go talk to my sno way dealer.
What would cause the blinkers not to work on the plow? when i disconnect the plow lights and hook up my headlights every thing is fine.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm going out on a limb here since I'm definately not a plow install guy or haven't turned a wrench professionally in a very long time.
As far as your flashers, maybe a heavier duty flasher unit will help out.
As far as overheating, (I'll assume it's an electric fan), couldn't your dealer install a fan switch that would kick it on sooner? Unless it's all controlled by the computor, then reprogram it so it kicks on sooner?? Oh well, just my .02

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i am just trying to determin if i have a installation problem, a truck problem, or my truck just needs to be tweaked. If its a reprogram on the fan, is that something that i could get the plow installer to do? or do i need to go to the dealer? If its a flasher problem, is that something i should expect the dealer to have noticed at the time of install or is that to much to ask? As a consumer, i would expect the truck to be street legal at time of delivery. I wouldnt expect them to reprogram the fan, but i would expect the turn signals to work.
What can i say? im just a consumer, not a pro. But, i am a pro in a differnt kind of industry,which happens to be a retail industry, and if i deliverd products half ass i wouldnt have a job for long.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I think you have two separate problems...

Flashers... surely the plow installer's problem

Overheating.... maybe just drive different/position plow. If you experience the problem plowing, then it is over concern. Going up hill in 40-60 degrees (its 42 here today) will do that on a lot of trucks with plows.

Check the fluids, get the code reset, and try different methods of transporting the plow. If that doesn't work then you need to explore extra coolers, different thermostats, air deflectors.. Jerre has installed a few plows on Nissan's I believe, PM him and see if he has any ideas.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also, to be fair. My dealer was knowledable, and gave me a fair price. The job was done on time, and they dropped me off and picked me up during the install day. The flashers were a overlook, which they already agreed to look at. So at this moment, the plow dealer has handled what problems they know about. NO complaints with the dealer.
I dont expect them to anticipate a overheat problem, and to be quite honest, i thought it was my truck not the plow causing my problem. When my truck overheated friday, i must have lost lots of fluid. I checked this morning, and i could not see any fluid in the radiator, and the resivor was dry.
Luckly im not really planing on going any where with the plow attached. I just bought it for home use, but it would be nice to know i can take it in for service with out worrying about it overheating.
Also, im not sure how to attack the plow position problem, it happened so fast that i would not have had time to power up the remote and play with it. The truck runs at a perfectly normal temperture untill it spikes, then drops within 1 minute back down to where it needs to be. It doesnt run warm, it runs at the exact same temp as it does with or with out the plow attached.
I have no doubt at this point that the plow is what caused it, i just dont know how to avoide it because there is NO warning when this happens.
FWIW, it was 6* friday night when it happened
On friday the plow was all the way up and turned at ~20*
on wednesday it was all the way up but the blade was not turned at all. the temp spiked on wed, but not as severe. So i obviously have some playing around to do, but i dont want to mess my truck up expermenting.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
MountianStoveGuy said:
I checked this morning, and i could not see any fluid in the radiator, and the resivor was dry.

this is certainly the place to start. If you're that low on coolant, chances are the plow was ancillary in causing the overheat. In other words, fill your reservoir to the proper level, then put your plow back on and see how it runs then. It should be fine driving with the plow on. Could have been that with the coolant so low, the plow blocking the cool air @ the radiator was exploiting the issue of low coolant.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
John Banks said:
this is certainly the place to start. If you're that low on coolant, chances are the plow was ancillary in causing the overheat. In other words, fill your reservoir to the proper level, then put your plow back on and see how it runs then. It should be fine driving with the plow on. Could have been that with the coolant so low, the plow blocking the cool air @ the radiator was exploiting the issue of low coolant.
agreed.
I didnt check my level before the plow was put on. Tonite im going to go play on some hills :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts