Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Did a search and found much usefull information, but was wondering what the results are when your plow trips with Pro Wings on it....do the stay on, or are easily damaged..and also I have a question about stacking snow with them on...are they up to it or should you remove them for stacking. Yesterday when I was plowing I wish I had wings real bad, but when I went to stack snow, I was thinking they might have to come off for that process. Any info you have would be great. And, yes, it did feel great to get back out and plow some significant snow again. Plow on and thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Pretty much all the ones I have installed stay on all the time.They have rubber edges,so the rubber folds back when the plow trips.I haven't seen any damaged from stacking,unless your ramming into frozen piles all the time.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Now I know people don't read what I write :grinz

In those threads I have told people tripping is not affected at all by them, full trip or trip edge plows. Stacking is better with them, you are stacking more snow than without the wings. So the result is higher piles & more snow in them. Get them now! ;)

BTW, to increase their performance, replace the PIA wimpy rubber with urethane. :nodd

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honestly I didn't read all the threads that came up in the search, sorry I missed yours. I truely take to heart what everyone types on these forums, well, almost everyone :) . Since I didn't read all of them and this thread is allready going, where should I buy some. I am looking to get 3 sets and was wondering if there is somewhere I can get a better deal maybe if I order more than one set. Sorry, ****, I didn't mean to insult you in any way.
Thanks everyone again.....

·
Registered
132 Posts
wings for my arctic plow are next on the list.
I have seen a few guys running around with them. I think they would help alot. I have a few hotels to do, and there long pushes. Would help to hold the snow in...
:canada :burnout

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
???

Did you mean BRL?

On this topic, I just talked to a guy today about fabbing a set of wings for my 9' Fisher that I could adjust from wings to containment.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
****- That is what I wanted to do, but I got such a deal on the Pro-Wings, that I could hardly fab the other set for less. I am trying to design a set to do that (just like the blizzard wings, straight, and 30° tilt)

Waterchikn-
Northern Tool, a sponsor of this fine site, sell the prowings, I beleive they are $179/set, definately good deal, and by going through the banner at the top of the page, you will support this site! I still have the rubber edges on mine, and they are wimpy, as Bill said. I'll replace them with some urethane this summer if I don't build something else. They trip just fine, and will help in stacking. The rubber seems to bend back , but nothing thicker rubber, urethane, or a steel brace couldn't fix. They are nice in tight spots, because you can kind of contain the snow, but they really shine in an open parking lot. I can take almost a full blade width pass in a <4" snow, I am thouroughly impressed. Many thanks go to Bill, as he told me straigh-up, "You are getting two more feet of blade for less than $200, plus they will help scoop the snow." I took his advice, and I'm glad I did!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That just goes to show you how much I am really paying attention, I appologized to the wrong person...woah...kinda stupid sometimes I guess. They sure do sound like a good bang for the buck. I know a couple people mentioned that the rubber is alittle weak, does the snow get under the rubber parts while windrowing, or just stacking. And also, how does the urethane wings and urethane on the plow combination work out? Sorry about all the questions and stupidness I have presented here. Thanks everyone for the input.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Finished the install on my 8.5 tonight - I threw the tape measure on it and I am right at 10' 6". No new snow around to try them out, but I did play with a couple of banks on the side of the road. The rubber folds back, but the extra width kept me out of the ditch. We are being told that a storm is moving in this weekend, so the true test will come on parking lots.

Andy

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just finished my third "event" with the pro wings. I am impressed. They save a conservative 40% on the commercial lots. You can stack BETTER than with a straight plow. The rubber is holding up quite well, but i recommend that you install large fender washers on the front. It will prevent tearing the rubber on curbs. After this season I'm going to go with full U edges.

I have them installed on an 8' western pro. I leave them on for the entire storm, just angle the blade on the narrow roads.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Water,
Pay attention!!
I was making jokes, no need to apologize.

"does the snow get under the rubber parts while windrowing, or just stacking."

The rubber would fold back, so I'd end up with 8' of pavement &
a foot of snow pack on each side of it with each run. Also, they would fold back when running the curblines, so there'd be a pile of snow left in front of them instead of seeing the curbs.

"And also, how does the urethane wings and urethane on the plow combination work out?"

Fantastic!

Snowybowtie,
Glad you finally took the plunge, and that you agree with my assessment!

Longo,
Looks good! Except IMO the deflector is way too big? Seems like it would keep the blade from being able to carry as much of a snow load as it should be able to? Or while windrowing it would keep the distance the snow gets thrown lesser than it could be?

Maybe Cardoctor will see this thread. I told him about a sale one of the online suppliers was having on Pro Wings, but I can't remember which one. I think they were like 160.00

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Snowybowtie, Glad you finally took the plunge, and that you agree with my assessment!
Took the plunge, and after using them once, I am forever sold!! I have been 'selling' them to everyone that asks about them. I think that they might be the best $200 I have ever spent on a piece of equipment, or anything for that matter. I also am noticing about 30-40% shaved off my route time, just enough to add another meduim sized lot to my list. They even help on driveways, I can get the snow a little further off the drive without being in the trees and so tight to the walls. Other than the folding rubber, for which I may have a remedy, I am 100% satisfied by how well they work.

They do not scrap as clean as the steel edge, but in most storms I can line up the edge of the windrow with the guide at the edge of the blade, and use the leading wing as a gate, just like the Blizzards advertise!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After all the positive feedback, I think its safe to say that they are worth it. I thank you all again for the great insite, it has been priceless. I should pay more attention to whats going on and less attention to what I want to read rather than what I need to read. Sorry about the confusion. I am going to try a set, and maybe next year I will try urethane......I love the pics...any more??

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Travel & Bar Consultant
2,029 Posts
Water .....You might want to consider a set of Turkey Wings.

You can adjust the spread of the wings and get a wider
path with them also like the pros.

They also trip with your plow and they ride in channels
to ride over obstructions and such.

True they make your plow like a box plow...But for me I
have to push the white gold waay out back on my field
because of space concerns and windrowing is out of
the question for me. I can't bury the buildings or cars
on each side of my lot.

They also fit nicely between the narrow bank drive thru
lanes...Which was another issue on deciding on pro wings
or Turkeys..................geo

If you have a fleet of trucks...Turkeys on one rig would be
great for certian usages. www.turkeywings.com

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
My problems with Pro Wings and Turkey Wings are that:

1. According to advertisements, Pro Wings are not recommended for any 9' plows (not sure why).

2. Turkey Wings are only made for full trip plows (Meyer, Western & Hiniker).

What I'm looking for is something where I can easily install and remove the wing from the plow. Most times I want to be able to push an extra foot to the right due to the configuration of the driveways and small roads I do. But I would still want to be able to convert to box plow for lots.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Watch yourselves when driving with the wings on. One of our trucks got a ticket for overwidth snowplow (8.5 V plow with wings on, in V postion). Nothing over 8.5 in NY. Sad part is driver was just running 1/4 mile down road to get gas as his fuel light came on.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From what i understand about the prowings is they are removable with just a pin, is this correct? I only have a 7.5 plow so I am not sure this will be an issue, but its something to check on for sure....

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Travel & Bar Consultant
2,029 Posts
****.......Thats funny that Turkeys are not made for a
full trip plow. I don't see why they wouldn't work since
they are not connected to the trip edge and ride
independent of the blade. Hmmmmmm.......geo

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
**** here is what I did and think you will like this idea. I took the prowings myself and Bob Van got from Dino and adapted them to slide on and off with only one pin. I bought the steel to make " Turkey Wings/ Powerscoops and be interchangeable with the pro-wings.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
another

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts