Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
~

Hi All,

Hope you don't mind, I've a question for you..

I have an 87 R10 2wd that puked up its 700 R4 a while back. I found a replacement 700-R4 that came out of an 86 Chevy Van. I've installed this tranny in my pickup, and it seems most everything worked fine.

I do have a problem with it though. The shifting linkage is wrong in some manner. The 87 tranny's shifting yoke appeared to be at the 10 O'ck position when in park. The 86's seems to be in the 12 ock position when in park. Not knowing you can't at the time, but I tried to remove the yoke and adjust this out. When i wrenched on the nut, it broke the shaft. So, I pulled the selector plate, and the shaft out of my 87's tranny and installed it in the 86. This however, didn't change anything in my yoke alignment when in park.

What it's doing:

Park is not accessable from the shifter in the columb. The travel from park (if you can get to it) to reverse is about half of what it should be.

My questions are:

Is this 86 Van tranny really going to work in my R10? Am I kicking a dead dog here? I've read the book on adjustment of the linkage, but can't seem to make it work. Any suggestions on a better way to adjust this thing?

Thanks in advance...

Brendon~

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
The selector shafts on all the 700R4's are the same,regardless of the vehicle it came out of.

The u-shaped piece that bolts onto the selector shaft is what should be different.Are you sure when you changed it you put your original one (from your truck) back on ?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts